Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Credo
Helper I
Helper I

RLS set value - undesired behavior

Hi 

I thought I had RLS figured out but I am just puzzled here 

I have some sales connected to a Product dimension table with a Category column (A, B, C etc)

I have created a role with the only filter being applied to the Category column where [value] = "C"

Without the role active, here is what I see on a new report page

untitled.png

also here is a snap of the page level filter for the Categories

untitled.png 

If I apply the role I see this 

untitled.png

As you can see the table on the left got filtered correctly and is only showing C, however, the total value on the table as well the visual on the right remains unfiltered. 

In addition, the page level filter now only lists C as an available option and it remains unchecked. If I do check it then everything filters correctly. 

After some tinkering I discovered that if I manually select each category on the page level filter before applying the roleuntitled.png

than when I do apply the role it works as intendeduntitled.png

Can someone explain to me what is going on here? Am I doing something wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I was able to partially resolve the issue by activating "apply security filter in both directions" between a bridge and dim table 

That eliminates the issue for the sample file however it looks like I am out of luck for my work file because I have multiple fact tables connected through multiple bridge tables to a single dim table. I can toggle the security filter checkbox for one of the bridge tables which resolves the issue for that tables and connected data, however, it won't let me toggle security filter for all 4 bridge tables.

Edit:

Alternative workaround - add report level filter for the values that will be filtered by your role.

Don't check the "select all" box but instead manually tick each box for every value.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
ssugar
Resolver III
Resolver III

I'm not able to reproduce your issue.

I've created a pbix file with the same data as yours, but mine is filtering correctly when applying RLS:

https://github.com/ssugar/PowerBICommunity/raw/master/community-sol-561821.pbix

Could you make sure your running the latest version of Power BI Desktop?

Version: 2.63.3272.40461 64-bit (October 2018)

Yes I am running the same version 2.63.3272.40461 64-bit (Октябрь 2018)

Does the pbix file I linked to in my earlier post work properly for you with RLS?  Is there any difference between your data or your RLS setup and the one I created in the pbix file?

I have reproduced the issue (not sure how to attach a file)

It occurs if there is a many to many relationship with a bridge in between 

untitled.png

A few things:

1. Which Category field are you using in RLS?  The one from the Sales table, or the one in the DimProduct table?  I'm guessing the one from the DimProduct table?

2. Looks like your relationship between the Sales table and the Product key bridge is set for Cross Filter Direction = Single, does anything change if you change that to Both?

1. Yes I am using the one from DimProduct 

untitled.png

2. No even if both relationships are set at cross filter = both, the issue persists. Also I would not be able to do that in the real file anyways since that would have created ambiguity. 

Could you share some sample data from your sales and your dimproduct tables?  Something we could copy/paste into Power BI desktop would be easiest to work with.  I copy/pasted the below data from excel into the forum post editor

A110
B220
C330

I was able to partially resolve the issue by activating "apply security filter in both directions" between a bridge and dim table 

That eliminates the issue for the sample file however it looks like I am out of luck for my work file because I have multiple fact tables connected through multiple bridge tables to a single dim table. I can toggle the security filter checkbox for one of the bridge tables which resolves the issue for that tables and connected data, however, it won't let me toggle security filter for all 4 bridge tables.

Edit:

Alternative workaround - add report level filter for the values that will be filtered by your role.

Don't check the "select all" box but instead manually tick each box for every value.

One other question for you: Which table does the Category field come from for the Table and the Page level filter in your initial post?

In my initial post I used screenshots from my work file.

After you mentioned that you could not reproduce the issue, I made a mock-up file to reproduce it myself on a smaller scale and we've been discussing it since.

The only difference is that in the mockup there is 1 fact 1 bridge 1 dimension table. 

In the work file there 4 fact 4 bridge 1 dimension table.

The security filter setting can only be activated for one of the bridge tables. 

I tried creating another bridge table that linked to the whole dimension table like this

F - B -

F - B -

F - B - Dim - Bridge (with security)

F - B -

and applying the rls vallue setting as well as the security filter there. In this case the issue persists and the security filter does absolutely nothing. 

The only alternative is add report level filter and manually check each box for the values there. When the role is applied only the relevant value will kick in the report level filter. Does not work if "all" is selected. 

Here is the file

https://we.tl/t-vajaseRhAU

Here is the data (random stuff i typed to reproduce the problem)

Fact sales 

Category    Sales                                                                      Product key

A1241
A43872
A123761
B85743
B12313253
B784564
B6664
B114
C35
C5565
C98995
C2516
C576456

Bridge table 

Product Key

DimProduct

Category         Product Name                                                             Product Key            Duplicate

AName 111
AName 221
BName 331
BName 441
CName 551
CName 661
AName 112
AName 222
BName 332
BName 442
CName 552
CName 662

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.