Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

brunozanoelo
Helper V
Helper V

RLS outside cube

Hello guys,

I'm having a problem here ... a big one.

Currently I have several cubes, each company that is my client, contains their access rules (RLS), the problem is that every improvement I make, I have to  on each cube, due to the RLS of each client.

When working as a developer(Power BI Developer), could I work on only one cube and later send RLS information to each environment?

How could I do this?

Today, any implementation becomes VERY laborious.

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Are you missing a word, you have "I have to  on each cube". You have to what on each cube? Can you describe this a little better in terms of the issues you are facing?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hello, sorry for explaining with little information!

Thanks for your reply right away ...

I will explain in detail the difficulty I face and what I think it is possible to do with power bi development (I will need some help to improve the idea).

What happens:
Currently I work for a company that provides ERP software, we are using Power BI to extract the information from our customers' databases. (The databases are located locally in the client's company).

From the beginning of the project, we wanted to work with the development option, however, we are only starting now, and with that, I need to have the idea well-formed to then program.

Currently we have 3 customers company, and it is giving a lot of work, because each one has its access rules for its respective users, that is, every improvement that is made for a client, we must do it manually for the other pbix and send MANUALLY to the Tenant of each company.

Let me give you an example:
If I make an improvement or correction, company A has different users and rules different from B, since obviously they have nothing to do with each other, but the graphics for both are exactly EQUAL structure, but not with the same data, rls and users.

Company A
  - Sales Dataset
  - Billing Dataset
  -------------------- RLS FOR THE COMPANY A

Company B
  - Sales Dataset
  - Billing Dataset
  -------------------- RLS FOR THE COMPANY B

Company C
  - Sales Dataset
  - Billing Dataset
  -------------------- RLS FOR THE COMPANY C

We are thinking of developing some way to send the pbix files "Sales" and "Billing" all at once, to all tenants.

All companies should use the same charts, but with different data, users and RLS.

I am attaching an image to anyone who knows, to facilitate understanding.

I would be VERY grateful if you would help me.

Example.png

@brunozanoelo wrote:

Hello, sorry for explaining with little information!

Thanks for your reply right away ...

I will explain in detail the difficulty I face and what I think it is possible to do with power bi development (I will need some help to improve the idea).

What happens:
Currently I work for a company that provides ERP software, we are using Power BI to extract the information from our customers' databases. (The databases are located locally in the client's company).

From the beginning of the project, we wanted to work with the development option, however, we are only starting now, and with that, I need to have the idea well-formed to then program.

Currently we have 3 customers company, and it is giving a lot of work, because each one has its access rules for its respective users, that is, every improvement that is made for a client, we must do it manually for the other pbix and send MANUALLY to the Tenant of each company.

Let me give you an example:
If I make an improvement or correction, company A has different users and rules different from B, since obviously they have nothing to do with each other, but the graphics for both are exactly EQUAL structure, but not with the same data, rls and users.

Company A
  - Sales Dataset
  - Billing Dataset
  -------------------- RLS FOR THE COMPANY A

Company B
  - Sales Dataset
  - Billing Dataset
  -------------------- RLS FOR THE COMPANY B

Company C
  - Sales Dataset
  - Billing Dataset
  -------------------- RLS FOR THE COMPANY C

We are thinking of developing some way to send the pbix files "Sales" and "Billing" all at once, to all tenants.

All companies should use the same charts, but with different data, users and RLS.

I am attaching an image to anyone who knows, to facilitate understanding.

I would be VERY grateful if you would help me.

@brunozanoelo

I think you can rely on Power BI Embedded. All data tables shall have an extra company column and you can use the RLS in  Power BI Embedded to control the users accessing the reports seeing their own data.

Can someone help me with that?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.