Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rajulshah
Super User
Super User

RLS in report embedded in Dynamics CRM

Hello,

I have embedded my Power BI Report in Dynamics CRM as a Web Resource, wherein I have passed two roles:

1. Open (1=1)

2. Restricted ([Column]=USERNAME())

What I need is that when a manager logins, he needs to see all the data, and when a user logins, he can see only his data. Hence, I am using below JSON -

var jsonData = JSON.stringify({
"GroupId": "xxxxxx-xxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxx",
"ReportId": "xxxxxx-xxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxx",
"Identity": {
"Username": username,
"Roles": ["Open","Restricted"],
"Datasets": ["xxxxxx-xxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxx"]
}
});

After implementing RLS in embedded Power BI Report as mentioned in https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/embedded-row-level-security, I can see restricted data for that particular user but when a manager logins it doesn't show any data, where I expect that the manager sees all data.

Please guide us what am I missing in the flow.

5 REPLIES 5
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @rajulshah,

For your sceanrio, I'm afraid that the issue is caused by the role you created in Power BI Desktop.

Do you have the manager username () in the table? 

You could try to create the role similar with the formula below in Power BI Desktop.

if(userprincipalname() = "aa@dale.onmicrosoft.com",true(),[Col1] = "b")

If the username is maneger username then the function is true and it will show all data.

More details, you could refer to the attachment.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello @v-piga-msft,

I have a table of Users.

Hence whenever a User logins, he should be able to see his own data but whenever anyone other than User logins, he should be able to see all the data.

Now, what I am unable to achieve is how to allocate users to different roles.

Suppose, I want User : A and B for the Open role.

Manager : C and D for Restricted role.

Am I clear with my requirements?

Hello @v-piga-msft,

Do you have any solution for the above requirement?

Any help would be great.

Hi @rajulshah,

It seems that your want to have two roles: manager and user.

You could refer to this blog which introduce the details about how to create the roles.

In addition, we always assign roles under Security in Power BI Service.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello @v-piga-msft,

For embedded report, I found the following blog that states that Security in Service isn't effective.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/embedded-row-level-security (Considerations and limitations).

Based on the blog you suggested, it's really helpful blog but I want to use 2 roles. 

My question is, if you pass one username and 2 roles, how does it get classified that which role it has to be?

Am I yet clear?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.