Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

RLS in Workspaces

Hi, I have a business scenario where reports are shared in a workspace and there are 2 requirements to be met.

1. RLS needs to be implemented at a region level. ie North Regional Manager should only be able to see data of region 'North'. 

2. Along with that, he/she also be able to develop his own reports for his respective region.

Since all the reports should reside in a single workspace only, I am not able to achieve both functionalities together since RLS at a workspace level can only be applied to 'Read only' users which in turn cannot create their own reports.

Please help me solve it. @GilbertQ 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

When you apply RLS it will allow for the user to only see their data.

What happens if you allow the user to have Build Permissions when you deploy the App?

What I would do is to create another App Workspace where the user can leverage the shared datset, and the user can have the Member role?

This will still apply RLS to via the Shared Dataset and the user will be able to create reports in the NEW Workspace?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

When you apply RLS it will allow for the user to only see their data.

What happens if you allow the user to have Build Permissions when you deploy the App?

What I would do is to create another App Workspace where the user can leverage the shared datset, and the user can have the Member role?

This will still apply RLS to via the Shared Dataset and the user will be able to create reports in the NEW Workspace?

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks a lot @GilbertQ . This sounds like a good work around.

Awesome, glad to help you!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.