Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Bjoern
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

RLS in PBI Desktop

Hi guys,

I am currently looking for a way to implement RLS in a PBI Desktop model. I have seen that via "manage roles" and using the username() function I can apply such feature.

But: How can I make it work for all users per default? As soon as I leave the "view as ..."-button, I can see all the data. Same accounts for all other users, I guess.

So, all other users should be able to open the PBIX-file, but should not have any chance to view all the data (i.e. they must stay in their role). How do I do that?

BR

Bjorn

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Bjoern no i am not aware of any other way. if publish to service is not possible you should consider ssas or database level security. also on-premise hosting with ssrs is on roadmap but there is no timeline on when that will be out.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Bjoern not possible yet in power bi desktop to enforce that, however that is not the correct way of using RLS or power bi as a whole. after implementing RLS you should publish that report to service and then share with users which will give you desired behaviour of RLS. if you intend to distribute datasets to other users and also want RLS you should consider publishing it as content pack.

Bjoern
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@ankitpatira Thank you for the reply!

I am aware that a publish to WS scenario is more favourable. Nonetheless, it is not feasible due to data security restrictions. Any other ideas on that?

I would assume with the on-premise hosting via SQL2016 -> PBI reports via SSRS -> it should be feasible.? Otherwise, we would aim for SSAS or SQL2016 RLS. Do you have other thoughts?

@Bjoern no i am not aware of any other way. if publish to service is not possible you should consider ssas or database level security. also on-premise hosting with ssrs is on roadmap but there is no timeline on when that will be out.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.