Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PetyrBaelish
Resolver III
Resolver III

RLS based on user's department - of which they can have multiple

I am trying to confiugre Row Level Security - I nearly had it working, but fell into the trap that the USERNAME() function can't be used in a calculated table.

My data is as follows:

Exam Results Table:

User - Result

Dan - 70%

Jane - 85%

Joe - 60%

HR Table:

User - DeptName

Dan - Finance

Dan - HR

Jane - Finance

Joe - IT

Note Dan works in two departments and therefore has 2 rows in the HR table. There is a 1 to many relationship (1 exam result to many in HR table) with bi directional filtering.

I created the following calculated table to only show the current user's departments (initially hardcoding a username - which worked fine)

Current User Departments = SUMMARIZE(CALCULATETABLE('HR Data','HR Data'[User] = USERNAME()),'HR Data'[DeptName],'HR Data'[User])

I then created a calculated column in HR Data:

Current User Check = IF(LOOKUPVALUE('Current User Departments'[DeptName],'Current User Departments'[DeptName],'HR Data'[DeptName])<>"",1,0)

My Role is defined as:

'HR Data'[Current user check] = 1

Whatever I've read online hasn't worked, mainly because it doesn't have the complication that a user can be in multiple departments

Does anybody have any ideas? I've tried to recreate this entirely in the DAX expression for the role but I've been unsuccessful - I got error messages creating a table variable due to 'base table is expected'.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I managed to get this working.

My HR Table as originally described became the "User Access" table, unrelated to other tables

I then have a HR Data table which contains 1 row for each user.

I used the following RLS expression on the HR Data table:

[DeptName] IN SELECTCOLUMNS(FILTER('User Access','User Access'[Username] = USERPRINCIPALNAME()),"Department",'User Access'[Department])

I had help mfrom here: https://radacad.com/dynamic-row-level-security-with-profiles-and-users-in-power-bi 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PetyrBaelish ,

I created a measure to calculate the DeptName. And put it into HR table visual, it will show all the DeptName. If we put it into card visualt, it will just show the max value of it .

Measure = CALCULATE(MAX('HR Data'[DeptName]),FILTER('Table','Table'[EMAIL] = USERNAME()))

The "Table" is my new table which contains user name and emails. 

2.PNG

3.PNG

Is this what you want?

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I managed to get this working.

My HR Table as originally described became the "User Access" table, unrelated to other tables

I then have a HR Data table which contains 1 row for each user.

I used the following RLS expression on the HR Data table:

[DeptName] IN SELECTCOLUMNS(FILTER('User Access','User Access'[Username] = USERPRINCIPALNAME()),"Department",'User Access'[Department])

I had help mfrom here: https://radacad.com/dynamic-row-level-security-with-profiles-and-users-in-power-bi 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.