Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

alexhauge
Advocate I
Advocate I

RLS Roles from Two Tables

Hello,

I have a need to write a number of RLS roles where it looks at department numbers from two different dimensions and provides results from one OR the other.  E.g. We have department numbers on two dimensions.  We want a role that looks to see if the department numbers match one OR the other.  

This is what I have been experimenting with so far:

DEFAULTDIMENSION[DEPARTMENT] = "D2040" || RESOURCE[RESOURCE_DEPARTMENT] = "D2040'

Does anyone have any thoughts with how I can get this to work?

Thanks,

Alex

3 REPLIES 3
nirvana_moksh
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

This underlined part for the second section of it should have double quotes, you just have a single. Idk if that is the syntax error that you are getting -

DEFAULTDIMENSION[DEPARTMENT] = "D2040" || RESOURCE[RESOURCE_DEPARTMENT] = "D2040'

Also, do you have a these dimensions also present in the table wherein ultimately you want RLS to work and do you have a relationship set between these two DIM Tables and the other table?

Thanks for catching that syntax error.  That was just from me fat-fingering into this forum but it was not present in the DAX for the RLS role itself.  

And yes, we are working with a star-schema where both of these dimensions are present.

If those Dimensions exist in the other tables then just apply RLS on these two DIM tables will work fine as long as there is a relationship between all which there is. Lastly, dont forget to assign this RLS Role on the Power BI Service accordingly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.