Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

Jakuza
Helper I
Helper I

RLS Master role

Hi,

Is there a way to set up a role that will allow a user to see all of a dashboard? Currently just setting up RLS and I'm stuck on this.

Thanks,

J

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-jiascu-msft

My understanding with RLS is that if you create roles, anyone with no roles assigned will actually see nothing instead of everything.  I'm expecting you'd have to create a role with no filters, then assign them to it.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Jakuza

What you could also do if you want someone to see everything is create an App Workspace and add them as a Member in the App Workspace. That will then override the RLS and that user will be able to see all the data.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

@Jakuza,

Hi J,

There are two big steps when using RLS. First, create RLS roles. Second, assign somebody a role. So if you want somebody have the full access, don't give him/her any role. A precondition is that people aren't hard coded in the roles. 

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-jiascu-msft

My understanding with RLS is that if you create roles, anyone with no roles assigned will actually see nothing instead of everything.  I'm expecting you'd have to create a role with no filters, then assign them to it.

Hi,

So what you're saying is that if I create a role called "MASTER" and assign no filters to it, who ever has this role can see everything on a dashboard?

Thanks,

J

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes thats what i'm suggesting.

Thanks Ross - This is just what I was looking for...sometimes the solution is pretty darn simple

Hi @Anonymous,

Thank you very much. You reminded me about this possibility. I have tested it. And from the documents, I found out RLS works on the users who are assigned a role.

>>Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI can be used to restrict data access for given users. Filters restrict data at the row level. You can define filters within roles.

If I missed some preconditions, please point them out. 

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.