Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nonoliem
Regular Visitor

RLS Analyze in Excel

My Power BI doesnot connect to Excell.

I've downloade all what is needed. But I've got repeatedly following message: "I cannot find the Olap Cubus" ( its in Dutch because my language is set to Dutch).

The strange thing is that a file from Github gives no problem what so ever.

I use windows 10 home and pro 64 bit and Excell 2010-32 bit. The file was residing in Dtopbox. Could this be a problem?

I have moved the files nwo to Onedrive.

Hope you can give me advise or a clou what causes the problem.

Thks in davance

Nono Liem

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@nonoliem

Analyze in Excel is supported for Microsoft Excel 2010 SP1 and later. Please make sure you've installed SP1 upon your Excel 2010. If your data source is part data from a excel file, it should not be the problem. For the detailed steps of using Analyze in Excel, I think you can take a look at this video and official document.

For your another question, you can change source in data source settings, or alter the data source path directly in Query Editor – Advanced Editor.

RLS Analyze in Excel_1.jpgRLS Analyze in Excel_2.jpg

Best Regards,

Herbert

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
nonoliem
Regular Visitor

@Herbert Liu

Thks for reply. I have downloaded a Github file at random just to experience Power BI. I'am a new however enthusiatic user of Power BI. I don't now what kind of file it is. It concerns visualizations of Author contributions to something. Sorry not quite clear. I tried to insert a QR but cannot do it here.

My file is based on data extracted from an Excell worksheet ( part of a workbook). Is this the reason? Does it search for a kubus  on a SQL server or something like that? I use Excell 2010(Office 2010 Professional).

I'am free to pose another question here:

I noticed that if I move the file where data is extracted from to another location or rename it, Power BI does not follow its path nor the changes. This means that if you want to edit de data model he cannot find it and issue an error.

And probably you also cannot refresh the Pbix. But there is no way you can alter the path etc. so that Power Bi can be on track again. Do I overlook something here?

Thks in advance and kind regards

Nono Liem

@nonoliem

Analyze in Excel is supported for Microsoft Excel 2010 SP1 and later. Please make sure you've installed SP1 upon your Excel 2010. If your data source is part data from a excel file, it should not be the problem. For the detailed steps of using Analyze in Excel, I think you can take a look at this video and official document.

For your another question, you can change source in data source settings, or alter the data source path directly in Query Editor – Advanced Editor.

RLS Analyze in Excel_1.jpgRLS Analyze in Excel_2.jpg

Best Regards,

Herbert

@v-haibl-msft

I think I got the problem.

Power BI
Instellingen

Gegevens ophalen
Aanbevolen dashboard

Favorieten
Mijn werkruimte

Weergeven:Alle inhoud

Dashboards

Mijn eerste Dashboard
Rapporten

GitHub

Mijn eersterapportpowerBI

PMHsplitdedicatedenergy
Gegevenssets

Financial Sample

GitHub

PMHsplitdedicatedenergy
Streaminggegevenssets

Algemeen
Dashboards
Gegevenssets
Werkmappen
Waarschuwingen
Financial Sample
GitHub
PMHsplitdedicatedenergy

Instellingen voor Mijn eersterapportpowerBI

Deze gegevensset bevat een on-premises gegevensbron. Als u de gegevensvernieuwing wilt plannen, kunt u Power BI Pro 60,00 dagen uitproberen. U kunt ook contact opnemen met uw Office 365-tenantbeheerder om Power BI Pro te kopen.
Pro gratis uitproberen
Q&A en Cortana
Aanbevolen Q&A-vragen

I shall translate it for you:

It says that the dataset is a on-premises data source( which is right-excell worksht on my pc). If you want to renew is you can try Power BI Pro for 60 days. etc etc.

So it seems I need Power BI Pro to be able to analyze in excell? Strange to me.

The github file doesnot give this message.

kind regards

Nono Liem

@nonoliem

Analyze in Excel should can also be used by free users. But if we need to access on-premises data using the Data Connectivity Gateways, pro license is needed. For difference between free and pro license, please refer to this document.

Best Regards,

Herbert

@v-haibl-msft

Many thks again.

I still cannot understand why my BI file cannot find data in the Olap cubus to analyze in excell.

continue my search to tackle the problem.

Thks so far. Your advises were very helpfull

kind regards

Nono Liem

@v-haibl-msft

many Thks. I thought I had allready the SP1 but I haven't. Now I have downloaded SP2.

But still it signals no data found in Olap cubus. So some work out to do on my side. But don't know where to look really.

Anyway your advises are very helpful. It is now up to me I guess.

Perhaps he doesnot recognise the part of the worksheet, because I have modified after downloading to Power Bi the lay out etc, deleted some columns, unpivot columns etc. to my liking for power BI.

For the other question. It is now clear to me. Do not understand why I have missed the advance query tick boxSmiley Surprised

best regards

Nono Liem

v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@nonoliem

Based on the message and this troubleshooting document, If you encounter an error that states Can't find OLAP cube model, then the dataset you're trying to access has no data model, and therefore cannot be analyzed in Excel. What is the file from Github?

Best Regards,

Herbert

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.