Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Belvedere90
Frequent Visitor

REST API / Invalid JSON Request

Hello everyone,

i am trying to connect the Power BI Client to a REST API by a Dataset.

The Dataset i am tryin to run, looks like this:

1pbi.jpg

I alway get the error, that says, this is an invalid request.2pbi.jpg

I dont get what there is been missing or where the error is? I didnt find anything through researches.

Am I Missing the Authentification (X-RPC-Auth-Username / X-RPC-Auth-Password / X-RPC-Auth-Session)?

If yes, where do i have to insert it?

I am very thankful for your help,

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tonmcg
Resolver II
Resolver II

In the body step of your query, it looks like you're passing a JSON object in the body of the request. A JSON parser would recognize the values for jsonrpc and id as numbers instead of strings. It would also have trouble parsing the value you have for method; it wouldn't recognize it as a string.

I'm not sure what the structure of the request should look like, but it's very likely these values should all be strings.

Try this instead:

let
    url = "...",
    bodyContent = [ jsonrpc = "2.0", method = "cmdb.objects.read", params = [apikey = APIKEY], id = "1" ],
    body = Json.FromValue(bodyContent),
    Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents(url, [Headers = [#"Content-Type" = "application/json"], Content = body] ))
in
    Source

Note: I assume you have the value for APIKEY defined properly elsewhere.

If that doesn't work, try making the same request with Postman.  Also, what does the API documentation say about that -32600 status code?

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
tonmcg
Resolver II
Resolver II

In the body step of your query, it looks like you're passing a JSON object in the body of the request. A JSON parser would recognize the values for jsonrpc and id as numbers instead of strings. It would also have trouble parsing the value you have for method; it wouldn't recognize it as a string.

I'm not sure what the structure of the request should look like, but it's very likely these values should all be strings.

Try this instead:

let
    url = "...",
    bodyContent = [ jsonrpc = "2.0", method = "cmdb.objects.read", params = [apikey = APIKEY], id = "1" ],
    body = Json.FromValue(bodyContent),
    Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents(url, [Headers = [#"Content-Type" = "application/json"], Content = body] ))
in
    Source

Note: I assume you have the value for APIKEY defined properly elsewhere.

If that doesn't work, try making the same request with Postman.  Also, what does the API documentation say about that -32600 status code?

Sorry for the delay and a big thank you tonmcg !!! It works with the square brackets

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.