Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

appsheetglm
Regular Visitor

RESOLVED - Refresh Onedrive Data after sharing by email

I've built a PowerBI for a collegue and I've sent it to him by email. The database is an Excel file on a Onedrive. 

When he tries to refresh the data, an error message appears saying that he cannot reach the data source.

The file location starts with 'C:\Users\MrT\OneDrive - MrT' but the Excel file is shared with anyone with the link.

What can I do so my colleague would be able to refresh the data?

Best regards,

Dominic

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
appsheetglm
Regular Visitor

I was able to fix this issue.

1. I've moved the Excel spreadsheet to a Sharepoint Site
  2. I added my coworker as a member of my Sharepoint Site
  3. I've change the PowerBI source for a Sharepoint Folder (site link as URL)
  4. Than was able to navigate to my Excel Spreadsheet
  5. I  than sent the PowerBI by email to my coworker
  6. When the user clicked on Refresh for the first time, he must log in with the same Windows credentials than the ones that were added to the Sharepoint Site

I hope this will help people,

Regards,

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
appsheetglm
Regular Visitor

I was able to fix this issue.

1. I've moved the Excel spreadsheet to a Sharepoint Site
  2. I added my coworker as a member of my Sharepoint Site
  3. I've change the PowerBI source for a Sharepoint Folder (site link as URL)
  4. Than was able to navigate to my Excel Spreadsheet
  5. I  than sent the PowerBI by email to my coworker
  6. When the user clicked on Refresh for the first time, he must log in with the same Windows credentials than the ones that were added to the Sharepoint Site

I hope this will help people,

Regards,

Hi @appsheetglm 

Thanks for sharing,please accept your reply as solution, that way, other community members will easily find the solution when they get same issue.

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-cherch-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @appsheetglm 

You may refer to below posts.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/My-coworker-has-not-access-to-shared-folder-at-my-SharePoin...

https://5minutebi.com/2018/04/09/power-bi-using-and-refreshing-excel-datasources-with-onedrive/

For 3rd party Links:

Please understand that this link is provided “AS IS” with no warranties or guarantees of content changes, and confers no rights.

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.