Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

RELATED function not working

Tables Parent Child joined byt Ref fiel in one to many relationship
I'm creating column in child table called total budget to fetch the budget from the related parent table.
Total budget = RELATED('Parent'[Budget])

I get an error: 
The column 'Parent'[Budget] either does not exist or doesn't have a relationship to any table available in current context
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-jiascu-msft I tried both measure and column. None of these worked.

Solution: I created new PBIX file and copy pasted stuff from the old one. I dislike this kind of solutions, but I had no other choice than spend extra 3 hours recreating the report from scratch.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Maybe you created a measure accidentally rather than a column. Please refer to the snapshot below.

RELATED-function-not-working

Best Regards,
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-jiascu-msft I tried both measure and column. None of these worked.

Solution: I created new PBIX file and copy pasted stuff from the old one. I dislike this kind of solutions, but I had no other choice than spend extra 3 hours recreating the report from scratch.

Hi @Anonymous,

That's too weird. The last possible cause is the version of the Desktop you have. Please upgrade it to the latest version. It's November 2018 for now.

Best Regards,
Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-jiascu-msft I've been updating the versions of PBI desktop on monthly basis since I started using it in Sep 2017... I always have the up to date version.

Hi @Anonymous,

It seems this issue can't be solved in the forum. If you need more support, I would suggest you file a support ticket here.

create-ATicket

Best Regards,
Dale

CR
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi @Anonymous,

I think the relationship doesn't exist in your PBIX file.

Please check it is the case by clicking on the button Manage Relationships or by displaying the pan dedicated to the tables.

Regards,,

CR

Anonymous
Not applicable

Capture.JPG

really strange because I did exactly the same as you and it works fine !

I created the relationship then I added a calculated column:

1.png

Could you share your PBIX to have a look ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd rather not share the PBIX file, because of confidentiality. Could it be because of I'm using direct query mode? Other than that I don't have a clue.

Or could the file itself be somehow damaged? I've been using it with many versions of PBI Desktop (created in 9/2017)

You should be able to use RELATED formula even if you are working in uery mode as said here But I'm not an expert of that topic so I invite you trying to do it though the Query Editor with Merge Queries function.

1.png2.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.