Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Leonid_Kostin
Advocate I
Advocate I

RELATED function doesn't work

Hello, Power BI experts.

I've found myself in the strange position. After the July 2020 update some of my Direct Query report have broken visuals. The strange thing that I haven't changed anything, just opened them and found that all calculated columns with "RELATED" function are broken. How can it be? Did someone face this? All my RELATED functions are on the "many" side of "one-to-many" relationship. Don't understand what's going on. 

Thank you for your help and advice.broken visuals.png

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Leonid_Kostin , Can you share the formula used. Will try to test on a similar scenario.

Check if there are known issues - https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

Hi again, @amitchandak !

I've found one interesting thing...So I checked 2 cases:

1. When I use my own created SQL statement to create a dataset (native query)

2. When I select the table from "New Source -> SQL Server -> ... " and then make some operations like filtering and ect.

In the first case I have an error during creation of the column using RELATED() function.

In the second case I don't have any issues.

So the method of loading data is important 🙂modelmodelno errorno errorerrorerror 

Hi, @amitchandak .

Thank you for your reply!

The formula is: 

Task Name = RELATED(TT_Tasks[Task Name])

Basically I try to grab a task name from the TT_Tasks to the dataset on the "many" side.

model.png

Same for Portfolio Name and User Name.

Pretty simple case but still don't understand why after the July update it doesn't work.

Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.