Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

RELATED, MERGE table or none

Hi guys,

I have a transactions table and a lookup table.

They're both connected by rate type.

I wanna see how much is my revenue for a specific periode and rate, as well as the difference between the actual rate and the discount rate. I have that information on my lookup rate table. My question is, how to have all that accurate info, on a report?

Once a relationship between both tables is created...

1. I just pick the fields i want from both tables

2. I do a merge between both tables and add all fileds to later pick the ones i want

3. I can do a RELATE on my transactions table of the fields that i want.

I believe all 3 options can work but i don't know which one garantees me accurate values and also, the option that allows faster calculations, cose so far this table is almost 100k records.

Thank you all very very much

Pedro

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

If you can do it, 2 should provide the fastest calculations because you would want to do that in the Query Editor so there is less work to be done calculating things during display. All 3 will work however.

Sample data though would be very helpful to provide specifics. Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous,

Just pick columns between mutiple tables may cause some issue or mistabke. So to be general, I would suggest you to merge tables, not use DAX function like RELATED() or RELATEDTABLE() in report level because the DAX engine is much slow than power query engine. All in all, a much more simple and fastest way of data transformation is to do this in database using SQL.

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous,

Just pick columns between mutiple tables may cause some issue or mistabke. So to be general, I would suggest you to merge tables, not use DAX function like RELATED() or RELATEDTABLE() in report level because the DAX engine is much slow than power query engine. All in all, a much more simple and fastest way of data transformation is to do this in database using SQL.

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much guys!!! Will do

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

If you can do it, 2 should provide the fastest calculations because you would want to do that in the Query Editor so there is less work to be done calculating things during display. All 3 will work however.

Sample data though would be very helpful to provide specifics. Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @Greg_Deckler

Thank you so much for your answer,

Of course i agree with you that we should attach a sample file in order to have better and accurate advice, but i thought in this case it wouldn't be needed, don't know why, maybe just wanted to hear your opinion.

I've been using option 1 cose i think i've read somewhere that it would be faster, the calculations and the updates. Is this true?
I've tried now to attach a file but i didn't see any option here....let me try again if i can do it after i send this

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.