Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Michael-BI21

REFRESH FILES FROM FOLDER in Power BI | What to do when new columns don't show?

I have built a powerBI dashboard with data source from Datalake Gen2. I am trying to add new column into my original data source. How to refresh dynamically from PowerBI side  whats the best way to do?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Michael-BI21 , are you on the latest version of power bi. Because the newer one adds additional columns for few sources.

otherwise the manual process is, add again. Then copy the first few lines of code using the advance editor in power bi and replace them in the advance editor of old table

View solution in original post

v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Michael-BI21  ,

You can add the column in your new data source, when Power BI refreshes against the data set you will NOT see it in report designer. You will have to go into the Query editor, select the dataset & refresh the preview. It will then pick up the new column. It will now show in the report designer.

Go to Transform Data and select transform data option 

vluwangmsft_3-1635410551291.png

Look for "Transform Sample File" on left hand side and select it 

vluwangmsft_4-1635410568700.png

Select advanced editor on top center and you should see something like this. and simply increase the number of columns your sample file can possibly contain. 

vluwangmsft_5-1635410580760.png

To learn more details ,refer:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/New-column-in-source-table-not-appearing-in-dataset-after/m... 

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/60143531/refresh-powerbi-data-with-additional-column 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Best Regards

Lucien

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Michael-BI21  ,

You can add the column in your new data source, when Power BI refreshes against the data set you will NOT see it in report designer. You will have to go into the Query editor, select the dataset & refresh the preview. It will then pick up the new column. It will now show in the report designer.

Go to Transform Data and select transform data option 

vluwangmsft_3-1635410551291.png

Look for "Transform Sample File" on left hand side and select it 

vluwangmsft_4-1635410568700.png

Select advanced editor on top center and you should see something like this. and simply increase the number of columns your sample file can possibly contain. 

vluwangmsft_5-1635410580760.png

To learn more details ,refer:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/New-column-in-source-table-not-appearing-in-dataset-after/m... 

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/60143531/refresh-powerbi-data-with-additional-column 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Best Regards

Lucien

@v-luwang-msft 

Thank You very much,also instead of increasing number of column to accept any number of additional column we can say ,  column = null .

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Michael-BI21 , are you on the latest version of power bi. Because the newer one adds additional columns for few sources.

otherwise the manual process is, add again. Then copy the first few lines of code using the advance editor in power bi and replace them in the advance editor of old table

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.