Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dats
Resolver I
Resolver I

RANKX to ignore column in visual

Hi,

I have a test dataset for which  I created a ranking like this:

RANKX(ALLSELECTED(Tabelle1[Products],Tabelle1[Category]),[SUM OF COUNT],,DESC)
I am also displaying the rank and the Products within a table and now want to include the column rating in to the visual.  I couldn't figure out how to tell the RANKX formular to not include the rating in to its calculation. Is there a way to do it with ALLEECEPT or do II need a calculate?
9 REPLIES 9
Sumanth_23
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

hi @dats - you can list all column want to be included in the RankX function in the highlighted section - the rank will be calculated based on the columns mentioned in the highlighted section in the below screenshot  

Sumanth_23_0-1600701350999.png

Please mark the post as a solution and provide a 👍 if my comment helped with solving your issue. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!

Proud to be a Super User!

Rating is just a product rating 1,2,3 or so

@dats 

Then Rating itself Ranking! I am confused. Is ranking and Rating are same or two different things and how different

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!
MY Blog || My YouTube Channel || Connect with me on Linkedin || My Latest Data Story - Ageing Analysis

VijayP
Super User
Super User

@dats 

Need to understand what is Rating?!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!
MY Blog || My YouTube Channel || Connect with me on Linkedin || My Latest Data Story - Ageing Analysis

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@dats ,The information you have provided is not making the problem clear to me. Can you please explain with an example.
Can you share sample data and sample output in table format? Or a sample pbix after removing sensitive data.
Appreciate your Kudos.

@amitchandak of course 🙂

DateProductsCategoryProduct Rating
01.01.2020P1Care1
01.01.2020P1Care3,5
....P1Care4

The output at the moment would be below whereas the category can be choosen through the visual filters.

RankProductRating
1p11
1P23,5

if i take out the rating column in my output it works as expected:

RankProduct
1p1
2P2

@dats , Not very clear.

But understand the context. you have Rank on all product

rankx(all(Table[Product]),[Sum of sales])

When I view it by(Only product on row/axis) product, I will see product rank. When I add a category column (any un summarized column ) then it will display product raking inside that category.

If your Rating is un summarized or does not have aggregation then Ranking will be done for the product inside the Rating

example

City Rank = RANKX(all(Geography[City]),[Sales]) // with City Id shows Rank 1
Geography Rank = RANKX(all(Geography),[Sales]) // Work with City ID as that is a lowest level along with city
City and ID Rank = RANKX(all(Geography[City],Geography[City Id]),[Sales]) // Work with City ID 

Can you share sample output in table format?

For Rank Refer these links
https://radacad.com/how-to-use-rankx-in-dax-part-2-of-3-calculated-measures
https://radacad.com/how-to-use-rankx-in-dax-part-1-of-3-calculated-columns
https://radacad.com/how-to-use-rankx-in-dax-part-3-of-3-the-finale
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Dynamic-TopN-made-easy-with-What-If-Parameter/ba-p/3...

@amitchandak 

Ok I see.Sorry for the confusion. I have uploaded my pbix testfile https://ufile.io/i0voo99k

The rank is the Rank cacluated by the amount a product has been displaye in example. Products are my Products and the ranking is in example average user ratings.

What I would like to acomplish is that I can display the ratings (as stars) next to the ranked products without RANKX taking the column "ranking" into account when it is calculating the rank of a product. Also I would like to choose the category filter in the visual filter panel

Hi @dats,

AFAIK, current power bi does not support creating a dynamic calculated column/table based on filter/slicer. Please use the measure formula instead.

BTW, can you please share this sample file to onedrive for business, I can't download the sample data from third part web driver.

Regards,

Xiaoxin sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.