Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

OB_Local
Frequent Visitor

RANKX tie breaking / Running Total Calculations

This post is both for help with a problem I am facing, and a suggestion to the Microsoft team with the DAX language for the RANKX function.

Scenario: I'm creating a pareto chart, which is a chart containing a summed measure and a percentage line. I'm having issues with the DAX for the percentage line. The formula is a multi-variable equation creating a rank for my dimensions, creating a running total for the dimensions, figuring out the sum for the entire sample, then dividing the running total by the sum.

Issue: RANKX groups ties in its two tie-handling options (SKIP: 1, 2, 2, 4 vs DENSE: 1, 2, 2, 3 if you had a 4 category sample and the middle categories had the tie). When the ranked value feeds the variable which creates the running total, it handles the ties the same way, flat-lining my pareto percentage line.

I've seen the internet solutions which say to use RAND() as a tiebreaker (doesn't work when creating it all in a single measure) or dividing by a unique numeric field in my data (could lead to errors). 

I'd like to know if there's a better way to create a running total based on Non-Date dimensions ; and suggest to the Microsoft team to add a new option in the final argument in the RANKX function. Maybe something called "RANDBREAK" to complement the SKIP or DENSE, to arbitrarily/randomly rank within a tie.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@OB_Local in this post there is  a section on breaking ties, hope it helps.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Parry,

I've seen that article, and it's a good one at that. I'd like to figure out a solution where it is not assumed there's a unique column to create an extra calculation on (if possible). I'd also like to refrain from creating a new unique calculated column to solve.

Thank you very much!

@parry2k 

@OB_Local ,

I've seen that article, and it's a good one at that. I'd like to figure out a solution where it is not assumed there's a unique column to create an extra calculation on (if possible). I'd also like to refrain from creating a new unique calculated column to solve.

Could you please share some sample data and give the expected output?

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.