Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dpbi
Helper I
Helper I

RANKX in a measure

Hi all and happy new year.

Need some help with the following -

Table1.PNG

Based on the data in ‘Orders’ table, I need to:

1) calculate InvoiceID margin for each customer

2) for each customer - count the number of occurrences of each margin

3) Summarize the results in the ‘Result Table’

(‘Orders’ table is a single table, not a part of a model).

(‘Result Table’ is a single column table – ‘Margin’ column).

For each customer, I’m creating new calculation table (as the ‘CustomerB Calculation’ example above) and then I’m creating a measure to summarize the results of ‘DIFFB’ column and dragged it into ‘Result Table’ visual.

My questions:

Is it possible to combine all these steps to a  single measure without the need  of creating new calculation table each time

for each customer?

Is it possible to create the ‘Result Table’ in one step/one measure for all the customers without creating multiple calculation tables ?

CustomerB’ table calculations

CustomerB Calculation = SUMMARIZECOLUMNS ( Orders [InvoiceID] , FILTER ( Orders , Orders[CustomerID] = "B" ) )

Rank = [RankB]   // Calculated column based on the RankB measure

RankB = RANKX ( ALL ('CustomerB Calculation') , FIRSTNONBLANK ( 'CustomerB Calculation'[InvoiceID] ,

'CustomerB Calculation'[InvoiceID] ) , , DESC)

DIFFB = VAR CurrentRow = SUM ( 'CustomerB Calculation'[InvoiceID])

VAR NextRow  = [RankB] + 1

RETURN

IF ( [RankB] <> LASTNONBLANK ( ALL ( 'CustomerB Calculation' [Rank] ), 'CustomerB Calculation'[Rank] ),

CurrentRow -  CALCULATE ( MAX ('CustomerB Calculation'[InvoiceID]  ) , 

FILTER ( ALL ('CustomerB Calculation') ,[RankB] = NextRow ) ) )

The measure CustomerB in the ‘Result Table’ 

CustomerB = COUNTROWS ( FILTER ( 'CustomerB Calculation' , [DIFFB] = SUM ( ResultTable[Margin] ) ) )

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

@dpbi,

To achieve your requirement. You can try following method:

1.Create a calculated column in table Orders. Called Rank with following expression:
Rank = RANKX(FILTER(Orders,Orders[CustomerID]=EARLIER(Orders[CustomerID])), Orders[InvoiceID])

We can use EARLIER() function to get previous records in DAX. No need to specify parameters like you did.

2.Create another calculated column called DIFFB:
DIFFB = IF(CALCULATE(max(Orders[InvoiceID]),FILTER(Orders,Orders[CustomerID]=EARLIER(Orders[CustomerID]) && Orders[Rank]=EARLIER(Orders[Rank])+1)) = BLANK(),
Orders[InvoiceID]-CALCULATE(MAX(Orders[InvoiceID]),FILTER(Orders,Orders[CustomerID]=EARLIER(Orders[CustomerID]) && Orders[Rank]=EARLIER(Orders[Rank])+1)))

Result shows like this:
Capture1.PNG

3.Create a new table called Result Table, specify column as Margin and give it values as 1 to 10 as you did. Then create a new relationship for Result Table and Orders table:

Capture2.PNG

4.In Result Table, create measures to count the numbers of DIFFB based on Margin and CustomerID. The expression are same for three customers:
Customer A = CALCULATE(COUNT(Orders[DIFFB]),FILTER(Orders,Orders[CustomerID] = "A" && Orders[DIFFB] <> 0))

Regards,

Charlie Liao

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

@dpbi,

To achieve your requirement. You can try following method:

1.Create a calculated column in table Orders. Called Rank with following expression:
Rank = RANKX(FILTER(Orders,Orders[CustomerID]=EARLIER(Orders[CustomerID])), Orders[InvoiceID])

We can use EARLIER() function to get previous records in DAX. No need to specify parameters like you did.

2.Create another calculated column called DIFFB:
DIFFB = IF(CALCULATE(max(Orders[InvoiceID]),FILTER(Orders,Orders[CustomerID]=EARLIER(Orders[CustomerID]) && Orders[Rank]=EARLIER(Orders[Rank])+1)) = BLANK(),
Orders[InvoiceID]-CALCULATE(MAX(Orders[InvoiceID]),FILTER(Orders,Orders[CustomerID]=EARLIER(Orders[CustomerID]) && Orders[Rank]=EARLIER(Orders[Rank])+1)))

Result shows like this:
Capture1.PNG

3.Create a new table called Result Table, specify column as Margin and give it values as 1 to 10 as you did. Then create a new relationship for Result Table and Orders table:

Capture2.PNG

4.In Result Table, create measures to count the numbers of DIFFB based on Margin and CustomerID. The expression are same for three customers:
Customer A = CALCULATE(COUNT(Orders[DIFFB]),FILTER(Orders,Orders[CustomerID] = "A" && Orders[DIFFB] <> 0))

Regards,

Charlie Liao

@v-caliao-msft

Thank you very much Charlie for your clear, instructive and detailed explenation. 

Exactly what I needed and it works perfectly.

Absolutely amazing solution.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks and best regards,

Dan

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.