Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lravikiran
Helper I
Helper I

RANKX function not working in multiple hierarchy fields

Hi ,

I have an issue relating to RANKX function. I have a situation where I need to show the TOP Regions basing sales giving the user the option to select the TOP 1,2,3 Regions using a slicer.

To achieve this I have created a Table named 'RANK Table' which has the below fields

Rank table.PNG

And in the main sheet I created a measure named 'Region Rank' which calculates the ranks of the regions basing the sales in desc order.

Region Rank = RANKX(ALL(Orders[Region]),CALCULATE(SUM(Orders[Sales])),,DESC,Dense)

Later created another measure 'Top Selector'  which relates the selection done by a user on the Rank field ( RANK Table) which limits the ranks to be equal or less than the selection done .

Eg: if the users selects  the TOP 2 , so only top 2 region will be shown .

TOP Selector = IF([Region Rank]<=SELECTEDVALUE('Rank Table'[Value]),"YES")

This seems to work fine when only the field used in the columns is the Region field. But as soon as I add up country field which is its child Hierarchy ( Region > Country)  , the Rank don't work correctly for the Regions.

Can you please provide a solution or help to this issue , so even on adding the child hierarchy the Rank per region should operate the same way when the user selects the Slicer.

PBIX

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@lravikiran ,

Change measure to calculate column and use DAX like below:

Region Rank Column =
RANKX (
    FILTER ( Orders, Orders[Region] = Orders[Region] ),
    Orders[Sales],
    DESC,
    DENSE
)

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@lravikiran ,

Change measure to calculate column and use DAX like below:

Region Rank Column =
RANKX (
    FILTER ( Orders, Orders[Region] = Orders[Region] ),
    Orders[Sales],
    DESC,
    DENSE
)

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

This is not what I want . What i want is my heirachy to be present but ranking should only happen for region level and not country level.

Please refer the image . 

I must get the rank for the basing region only inspite of the heirachy still exists.

ranking region wise.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.