Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

RANKX Assigning Same Rank to Different Values

I've been struggling hard with RANKX for a few days now.  

We are connected to a data model, so we're limited to only measures.

I'm trying to create a stack rank that just looks at a revenue total and ranks the entire group highest to lowest.

However, it keeps giving folks with similar totals the same rank.  It also is skipping values, despite being set to use "Dense" when assigning rank.

I've tried troubleshooting it a few different ways, but nothing has worked.

Halp!  This is easy to do in Excel and I'm really frustrated that it's so difficult in PBI.

Here's my Code:

_Rank_All_MTD = 
IF( HASONEVALUE(DimBU[OwnerName]) ,RANKX( ALL(DimBU) ,CALCULATE([_GM_Total_MTD]) ,,,Dense ) )

Here's the Output:

2019-05-09_13-31-57.jpg

6 REPLIES 6
ZikoPowerBI
Helper II
Helper II

Did you get the solution for this ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had the same problem. Including Dense at the end of the measure fixed it so it rank sequentially. I think it defaults to skip unless you specify. I'm a Power BI newb, but I hope this helps.

Station Factor Rank = RANKX(ALLSELECTED(StationList[STATION]),[Station Factor],,DESC,Dense)

I have an issue with RANKX giving the same rank to different values, for instance

Value Rank
1 - 4
1 - 3
2 - 3
3 - 2
4 - 1

Not sure how to fix this, but I have been trying to understand it for the last 5 hours. I wish it was easy as excel.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I found a resolution for RANKX assigning a different rank to the same value. I used Round for the [Station Factor] measure to ignore the decimals more than 2 places.

Thanks for that, I was banging my head against the wall!

youssouf

Hi there,

I have excatly the same issue

did you found something ?

I really need to fix this !

Thanks a lot ^^ 

v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @Anonymous 

If there are some filters you have done in the report? what is [_GM_Total_MTD] formula?

Just from a screenshot and rankx formula, we could not find the reason.

If possible share a sample pbix file for us to have a test, or use virtual data to create a sample pbix.

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.