Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sandeepraichura
Regular Visitor

RANKING in Power BI Desktop !!

I want to Rank the Accounts by their Revenue and I don't see the RANKX function in Power BI Desktop.  Is there an alternative to this ?  One Customer has multiple accounts and I want to rank all the accounts by their Revenue, and when I switch the filter to another Customer, It should list the accounts and their ranking by their revenue.  Is this possible in Power BI Desktop ?

Read about the RANKX function but it doesn't seem to work on Power BI Desktop, Please help

5 REPLIES 5
Twan
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

The RANX function works in Power BI desktop.  If you provide the formula you came up with along with the table and columns names from your model that would be part of the ranking formula then people will be able to help more.

Your RANX filter should look something like this based on the information your provided (I don't know what your table name is so I just used Table1 in the example):

=RANKX(FILTER('Table1', 'Table1'[Customer] = EARLIER([Customer])), [Revenue], ,0)

sure, I'm using a direct query to create a connection from Power BI Desktop to SQL Server.  When I click on New Measure and enter RANKX, it doesn't work.  For some reason, RANKX is not recognized.  Am i doing anything wrong ?

here's the picture of a list of accounts and their revenue in excel, I want to create a ranking by revenue for each account.  I want to add a slicer named Account Manager, so when I click on Acocunt Manager it should only list the accounts that he is responsible sorted by the revenue.

Untitled picture.png

RANKX seem to be working now !  Since I'm using the Direct Query mode, I had to update the settings as listed here.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-use-directquery/

Thanks All for your help !

austinsense
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Do you 1) not see the function or 2) is it not working correctly - if #2, please provide your DAX

Austin is VP Operations at PowerPivotPro and a professional self-service enthusiast 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.