Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Talvien
Helper I
Helper I

R visual appears blurry in PBI Desktop

Hi,

I face a problem where my R visual appears blurry in PBI Desktop.

When I publish it its completely normal and sharp.

Does anyone knows the problem and how to solve it?

Blurry visualBlurry visual

6 REPLIES 6
johannesDE
Frequent Visitor

In January 2022 with latest PowerBI I am facing a similar problem.

The R visual of a ggplot geom_tile heatmap is blurry in Power BI Service but sharp in Power BI desktop. Removing all scaling did not help.

v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Talvien,

As I tested, I create R visual, which in Power BI desktop and Service are same. My PowerBI version is  2.40.4554.463 64-bit (October 2016). Do you try close it, create the R visual again to check if it is successful? Or do you have any third software to effect the PowerBI desktop?

Best Regards,
Angelia

It seems to depend on the scaling of the visual. When I pull the graphic to a different size, the visual gets sharp again and in some positions stays sharp. But when the content of the visual changes, it often get blurry again...

Hi @Talvien,

What's the version of your PowerBI desktop? I test it finely, please unstill and install it again. 

Best Regards,
Aneglia

Latest version Version: 2.40.4554.421 64-bit (Oktober 2016)

Reinstalling doesn't fix the problem.

In October 2017 I still have the same problem. R plot appear blurry after resizing - and sometimes directly after the plot. I cannot spot a correlation, but it basically appears all the time.

Perhaps it is really to do with PowerBI not being able to deal with the apect ratio changes of the R plot. As far as I remember it is an image that is simply exported from R onto the Dashboard canvas. I have tried playing with the aspect ratio within the R code to hold it constant, but this doesn't seem to help with the blurry outcome. I did that by using `+theme(aspect.ratio=4/7)`.

Another thing I noticed... The image appears quite sharp whilst actually dragging from a corner to resize, it is only upon letting go of the image boarder that the image itself becomes blurry. Like PowerBI renders the image one final time and that is done poorly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.