Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

R Visual Licensing

Hi,

I'm new to power BI and am trying to understand licensing terms and conditions by microsoft.

Can collegues(without Pro License) see R visuals pinned  on dashboard?

At our organisation we all have office 365 account. We are planning on getting the pro license as we are not able to publish tiles with R visuals but if the same is needed for every other client then it will be a big problem for us.

Regards,

Saurabh

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @saurabh_kedia_,

R visuals require a Power BI Pro license to render in reports, refresh, filter and cross-filter, but users with free licenses can view R tiles in dashboard please refer to the following table describes R visuals capabilities based on licensing.
1.PNG

Reference:
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-r-visuals/

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @saurabh_kedia_,

R visuals require a Power BI Pro license to render in reports, refresh, filter and cross-filter, but users with free licenses can view R tiles in dashboard please refer to the following table describes R visuals capabilities based on licensing.
1.PNG

Reference:
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-r-visuals/

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I have an R visual in a report created in desktop Power BI (free) and published using Power BI free licence. I would like to pin the R visual to a tile on a dashboard to see how it works (according to this post it shoud?) but the visual doesn't display in the report (as described in this post) BUT the pin button doesn't respond .. so I'm wondering how I would do this? i.e. in what sense does "View R tiles in dashboards" with a managed-tenant free licence if the tile can't be pinned? Does this mean the user pinning it must have a PRO licence to be able to pin it?

thanks

Hi @Rbbi,

If you notice in the image above, one can view the R visual in Power BI desktop and can view it in dashabord if shared by someone else. But one cannot pin a R-visual tile to the dashboard himself with a free license.

Regards,

Saurabh

Hi all, 

elaborating on the issue with R visuals and licensing, it is not clear to me if I have a PRO trial can I use R visuals on the web? 

Currently, it does not work but I wonder why (since this should be okay under PRO licence, right)?

Thanks,

Gabriela

If you have created the R visual yourself you will need to ensure that the package you are using is supported in the Power BI Service, as not all R packages are.  The list of the supported packages can be found here https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-r-packages-support/

Thanks for the reply.

In fact I did, I'm only using the base R charts e.g., hist from R base, or some charts from ggplot2 which is on the list.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.