Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anthony_W
Helper I
Helper I

R Scatter chart –filter x and y from same column with different slicers

Just say I have a data table setup like the following:

Index

Month

Year

Parameter_Y

Value_Y

January

Revenue

January

Profit

January

Expenses

January

Tax

January

Wages

February

Revenue

February

Profit

February

Expenses

February

Tax

February

Wages

I am trying to setup a R scatter plot to use the same table but with 2 slices of the parameter_Y column e.g. plot Revenue versus Profit. A fixed scatter plot can easily be prepared for say Revenue and profit, but I want the X and Y parameters to be dynamic.

I have tried using 2 tables (one a duplicate of the other). These tables have to be linked using the Index column otherwise Power Bi gives an error (Can’t determine relationships between the fields). When a Y parameter is selected, the 2nd table is automatically filtered such that only the Y parameter can be selected for X.

I can’t think of a way to pass the data for say Revenue and Profit through to R and make the process dynamic such that different combinations can be evaluated (e.g. Revenue versus expenses, profit versus tax etc.)

My R code is basic at the moment, and will look at making the chart fancier once I have resolved the data input issue:

library(ggplot2)

ggplot(dataset,aes(x=Value_X, y = Value.Y))+geom_point()

Has anyone worked out how to show a R scatter plot using 2 slicers for X and Y with data from one table?

Thanks in advance for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anthony_W
Helper I
Helper I

I have further investigated my problem and have come up with a workable solution.  I thought I should put it forward just in case anyone else has a similar problem.

I created a table that lists the slicer parameters such that the Parameter X values repeat for all parameter y values as indicated in the table below. 

Parameter_XParameter_Y
RevenueRevenue
RevenueProfit
RevenueExpenses
RevenueTax
RevenueWages
ProfitRevenue
ProfitProfit
ProfitExpenses
ProfitTax
ProfitWages

The columns from the above table are fed into the R Scatter chart. Slicers are created for Parameter_X and Parameter_Y.  This means the requires parameters are supplied to the Scatter chart code. The R code reads the required source data directly from a CSV file (using read.csv()). The X, Y data for the Scatter chart is filtered from the CSV data.

And now the Scatter chart reacts to variations in the selecter Parameter_X and Parameter_Y value.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anthony_W
Helper I
Helper I

I have further investigated my problem and have come up with a workable solution.  I thought I should put it forward just in case anyone else has a similar problem.

I created a table that lists the slicer parameters such that the Parameter X values repeat for all parameter y values as indicated in the table below. 

Parameter_XParameter_Y
RevenueRevenue
RevenueProfit
RevenueExpenses
RevenueTax
RevenueWages
ProfitRevenue
ProfitProfit
ProfitExpenses
ProfitTax
ProfitWages

The columns from the above table are fed into the R Scatter chart. Slicers are created for Parameter_X and Parameter_Y.  This means the requires parameters are supplied to the Scatter chart code. The R code reads the required source data directly from a CSV file (using read.csv()). The X, Y data for the Scatter chart is filtered from the CSV data.

And now the Scatter chart reacts to variations in the selecter Parameter_X and Parameter_Y value.

@Anthony_W,

Glad to hear that your issue got solved by youself, please accecp your reply as solutiom, as you said it will help other who have the similar issue to find the solution easily.

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.