Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

GreyDuck
Advocate II
Advocate II

Quickbooks Online Authentication Error

Hi all,

I'm working to query QBO data and reciving the errors below when attempting to login.

GreyDuck_0-1599841884310.png

GreyDuck_1-1599842000094.pngGreyDuck_2-1599842020273.png

GreyDuck_3-1599842052230.png

Choosing yes or no on each error message has no bearing on the outcome. So far in order to trouble shoot this I've:

1. Cleared all data source settings
  2. Reinstalled PBI with the lates version (Aug 2020)
  3. Confirmed my login works to access quickbooks on a web browser

I'm running out of ideas of what else to troubleshoot and all sugestions are welcome, Thanks!

37 REPLIES 37
donnarenia
Frequent Visitor

I am experiencing the exact same issues.  I have tried everything.  Even found this in the article https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/connectors/quickbooksonline with new troubleshooting at the bottom

Enabling OAuth Authentication in Power BI Desktop

Starting in December 2021 Power BI Desktop:

• Install the new Edge Chromium browser, (at least beta) from https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/download.
  • In your Environment Variables, set the System variable PQ_EnableEdgeChromiumOAuth to true . Once that is set it will use Edge Chromium for only QuickBooksOnline. For this release, only QuickBooksOnline is enabled by default.
  • You should now be able to log in to QuickBooks Online.

I did try to set my system variables but still getting the same errors.    Anyone have any further information on this issue.  Microsoft support provided this information but I found it of no value

script error.jpg

Having the same issue, where exactly are the system variables changed to mark PQ_EnableEdgeChromiumOAuth as true?  Thank you.

I changed them (I assume this is correct) by right clicking windows start, click settings, then type in environment and it will pull up "Edit System Environment Variables" then on Advanced tab click Environment Variables and from there you will need to add it....

BHobgood_0-1610562541729.png

But I'm still getting the same error after adding this to the Environment Variable. 

Have you confirmed that you installed the Edge *BETA* build?

If you follow the instructions on https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/connectors/quickbooksonline and are using the default QBO connector, this works.  If you are using the legacy Quickbooks.Tables() connector like I was, I wrote up a post describing how to get that working too: http://www.decodeanalytics.com/blog/connecting-quickbooks-online-to-power-bi-desktop/

Just wanted to let everyone know that I followed @Sohrab advice and I have been able to successfully refresh data from quickbooks.

You were correct I didn't have the beta build installed... once I installed the beta build I was able to login. The new quickbooks connector for some reason doesn't provide access to General Ledger tables but the legacy Quickbooks.Tables() does but I haven't been able to login using that connector. Going to check out your post above now.

Thank you for your post. The "Script Error" is still there no matter what. I have edge, followed everything in your post but it does not work. Will have to wait for the long term Solution I guess!!!

I am still unable to refresh directly in PBI Desktop, but my QBO data does refresh sucessfully via PBI online.  I have been publishing from PBI Desktop, refreshing the data in PBI Online, then downloading the updated PBIX file in order to view the latest data in Desktop.  Not the most elegant work around, but we ulitmately present everything in PBI Online anyways and use Desktop to build.

Sure not an elegant way but worked for me as well. Thanks.

If the "Script Error" icon looks like the IE11 one in the attached screenshot, it suggests that either Edge BETA isn't detecting a match when Power BI Desktop tries to connect.  Which Quickbooks connector are you using, the one from the UI, or Quickbooks.Tables() ?  If the latter, you'll need to use the method from my blog post - again, note that the variable value in that scenario is case sensitive!

It might also be worth confirming that you're running the current (Dec 2020) version of Power BI Desktop.  You can also try with a new PBIX file, and just add the connection to QuickBooks via the GUI (with Edge BETA and the environment variable as described in the Microsoft documentation) to see if that gets you any further - that worked for me.

2021-01-14_13h20_21.png

I am working with the Dec version of Power BI and this is what I got as seen in the snapshot.

mgb-nav-pbi_2-1611946965075.png

Trying with the new file does not work too. Same Script Error. However, I took the long route as suggested by @bmaupin and from Power BI Service I could login normally, refresh and download the pbix file.

dimakovalenko1

@julsh41 Oh, thanks for that information! 

dimakovalenko1

It seems we still don't have a fix for this. Disappointing. 

They roll back whatever change was made once a month so we can refresh the reports.  In December I was able to referesh reports from the 2nd to about the 10th, then it shut down again.  I would expect we get a window for a similar time frame for January and February until the long term fix gets going in March 

I am still stuck since last six months and cannot refresh my data. Am I missing the dates when I can refresh for the short term? I have tried everything and stuck with same "Script Error". Will try my luck in February, but still wondering what dates/time frame will that open. Or wait till March for the long term fix 😞 .

GreyDuck
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi all,

Update as of 9/24:

GreyDuck_0-1600955059422.png

Looks like we no longer have an eta for the short term fix and a long term fix set to be put in place 3/31/21.

This update is deeply frustrating for those of us with production dashboards and reports that rely on this data.

If anyone is interested in a hosted solution, please feel free to reach out to me at contact@runwayanalytics.com

julsh41
Helper II
Helper II

Still no luck getting QBO data refreshed in Power BI Desktop.  Anyone heard any updates on getting this fixed?

Hi all,

@julsh41  looks like they've updated this to a global issue on the PBI support dashboard.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

Estimates on a resolution estimate is due to be delivered today.

I'll update the post as I confirm that the issue is resolved on my end.

Edit* New eta for a fix is 9/23

image.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Looks like maybe no fix until March 2021? Hopefully a workaround sooner. Anyone have any ideas for solving this? My whole reporting process depends on QBO.

How hard is it to set up a Stitch to AWS-type sync? Any one have any other ideas?

dizzygoldfish_0-1600953339035.png

@Anonymous 

I've also been exploring a data warehouse solution. Let us know if you find something that works well.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.