Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Dyl_an

QuickBooks Desktop connection to Power BI

Hello,

My Company uses QuickBooks Desktop through Right Networks. We are looking to export the information from QuickBooks, into Power BI. However, I am unable to find the best method to do so. Has anyone done this previously, and if so how?

We will be looking to automate the Financial information daily as well.

If anyone has any suggestions or links which may be able to help, please comment them as I would love to take a look. 

Thank you in advance,

Dylan

7 REPLIES 7
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Dyl_an,

If you mean get data to power bi side, it is possible. You can use web connector with QuickBooks rest API or QuickBooks connector to get data.

Power Query QuickBooks Online connector - Power Query | Microsoft Learn

QuickBooks Develop (intuit.com)

If you mean to integrate the QuickBooks dashboard to power bi side, I'd ;like to suggest check the QuickBooks Online connect app:

Power BI and QuickBooks Online: Finances Made Simple | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power BI
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi Xiaoxin,

Thank you for the response.

Sadly, QuickBooks Desktop and Online are two different softwares and I don't believe the same options would apply to both.

I am going to try using the OBDC unless you may think of anything else that would work.

Best,

Dylan

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Dylan,

Did you ever find a solution for this? 

I'm trying to connect Quickbooks desktop to powerbi as well.

Best,

Amanda

Hi Dylan and Amanda,

Did you find a solution for this? I'm also trying to connect Quickbooks desktop to PBI and am struggling to find a streamlined solution. 

Respectfully,

Hannah

@HCage @Aviles21 you can folllow anyone of the below approaches.

Option 1: Automated Excel Export & SharePoint Connection

• You can automate QuickBooks data exportation hourly or daily (using Python or PowerShell scripts) into Excel files.
  • These files can be saved in a designated SharePoint folder.
  • Power BI can then access the SharePoint folder to build reports directly from the Excel files.

Option 2: Third-Party Integration & Data Warehouse

• Leverage Skyvia:
    • This third-party service facilitates extraction of QuickBooks Desktop data and stores it in a data warehouse, like Google BigQuery or Azure Synapse Analytics.
    • Skyvia can schedule updates to the data warehouse at regular intervals (e.g., daily, weekly).
    • Power BI can then connect directly to the data warehouse (Google bigquery or Azure Synapse Analytics) for report creation, offering improved performance and scalability.

A third option is also there using CData connector for QuickBooks Desktop to Power BI connectivity. But keep in mind that it only supports DirectQuery Mode. 

Hi Hannah,

The closest thing I've found for this was a ODBC link between QuickBooks & Microsoft services, if I remember correctly.

However. we are using another company's assistance on the matter of PBI data so I have never followed through with attempting to power the process on my own.

I would suggest looking into ODBC for the matter.

Regards,

Dylan

Hola, lograstes encontrar una solucion de relacion? Las tablas son muy complejas en quickbooks desktop

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.