Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ldacey
Advocate I
Advocate I

Questions about utilizing Parameters

Is it better to create a view in the database and have Power BI connect to that view, or would it be more viable to create parameters to filter data/queries?

Say I have a table which is fairly massive but I want to report on it per 'region' (based on a dimension in table). Currently, I create a view in the database and then connect Power BI and refresh the charts and it seems to work well. As more 'regions' become interested in having their own dashboard, I have to create and manage additional views though. It would be nice if the end-user could filter for their own region and have the data refresh.

• The table with all 'regions' accumulates many rows per day and is >5mil rows total so I would want the view to load quickly
  • The access to the data is through PowerBI.com - I publish the dashboard there so the end user would have to be able to select a parameter through the web portal. No one has access to the underlying database.
  • I assume using a Power BI template (empty dashboard with no data) and parameters would not work unless my end users had direct access to the database, right? So if I created an Azure SQL Server database and pointed Power BI to that source, an end user could have Power BI visualize their 'queries' (through pre-built parameters)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@ldacey

It's better to import views instead of tables into Power BI to avoid strong dependency between the physical data model and the report. Please see: Data Import Best Practices in Power BI.

And I don't suggest use Query Parameter since it can't be used on Power BI Service.

Regards,

Simon Hou

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@ldacey

It's better to import views instead of tables into Power BI to avoid strong dependency between the physical data model and the report. Please see: Data Import Best Practices in Power BI.

And I don't suggest use Query Parameter since it can't be used on Power BI Service.

Regards,

Simon Hou

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.