Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dbrandone
Helper III
Helper III

Question with SQL and Power BI

Hi Everyone,

I am just starting in Power BI, but have good knowledge and expertise with SQL. Right now my work has a SQL database that has real time replication that is controlled by an organization that we contract with for health records. It is a long story on the control of that database but that is for another time. Anyway, I created my own instance of SQL and linked into the other database. That way I can control views and data from there. For right now, the database is held locally until I build the foundation and then it will be moved into an Azure VM. I have been testing the connections with Power BI and Visualizations with the data I have pulled. If I have Power BI open with data retrieved and then open Azure Data Studio, then everything works fine. When I update views in ADS and then refresh the data in Power BI, I get a network instance error. I then will close out of ADS, close out of Power BI and I will still have a network instance error. It is not until I restart my computer that I can get Power BI to successfully connect to the SQL data.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
dbrandone
Helper III
Helper III

Wanted to push this question out to everyone again. If anyone has any ideas why this happens and if there is a fix for it or not. Thanks everyone

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@dbrandone are you using SQL views in power bi or what? 

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

yeah, I have views built and access them in Power BI. Since I am referencing a separate database in my sql instance through linked server, I felt that was the best way. I'm the only one with access and I am not refreshing Power BI at the same time that I am altering tables or anything.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.