Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

shaileng
Frequent Visitor

Question on incremental filter

Need some suggestion and not sure whether Power BI supports this -

Basically does Power Bi support incremental filters ? For Eg. I have 3 grids on my report. First one shows the list of countries, Second one shows the Sports by country and 3rd one shows the number of players by sex (Male / Female).

Now if I select a particular country Eg. USA then it filters the data in other 2 grids and show me only sports which are played by country=USA and 3rd grid shows me the number of USA player by sex.

However now let say I want check out how many people play Tennis in USA then I would select Tennis in 2nd grid but the moment I do this the filter from 1st grid goes away and it ends up showing me Tennis details for all countries and not for USA as the filter applies only on 1 vizualization.

I want a Excel like incremental filter. Is it possible ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @shaileng,

>>However now let say I want check out how many people play Tennis in USA then I would select Tennis in 2nd grid but the moment I do this the filter from 1st grid goes away and it ends up showing me Tennis details for all countries and not for USA as the filter applies only on 1 vizualization.

Do you means the visual highlight filter effect?  If this is a case, current it only works on active visual, so if you click and active on other visual, previous filter effect will be lost.

For your requirement, I'd like to suggest you to create slicers with these specific column which you needed to filter on visuals.

BTW, current power bi use 'and' logic to link filter/slicers, you can't direct achieve 'OR'/'NOT' filter on visuals.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @shaileng,

>>However now let say I want check out how many people play Tennis in USA then I would select Tennis in 2nd grid but the moment I do this the filter from 1st grid goes away and it ends up showing me Tennis details for all countries and not for USA as the filter applies only on 1 vizualization.

Do you means the visual highlight filter effect?  If this is a case, current it only works on active visual, so if you click and active on other visual, previous filter effect will be lost.

For your requirement, I'd like to suggest you to create slicers with these specific column which you needed to filter on visuals.

BTW, current power bi use 'and' logic to link filter/slicers, you can't direct achieve 'OR'/'NOT' filter on visuals.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
thomasronn
Resolver I
Resolver I

Try to change the first 2 grids (country and Sports) to slicers.

Now you can select one or more countries in the country slicer and the 3rd grid is filtered. You can select one or more sports in sport slicer and 3 grid grid will only show records within both the country and sport filters 

The first grid has around 30 more columns 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.