Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Swapn22
Frequent Visitor

Question on Many to many relationship

Question related to many to many joins;
we have 2 tables , with multiple values eg; Table1 have Date , Item , Region, Sales, and we have multiple lines as we have multiple items and region,
Table 2 has date , Item, region and Cost, again multiple dates and multiple items,
We need to make one calculative measure that gives the total sales and total cost.
Again it should be compatable with slicers for Region and Items? 
Any Ideas and Suggestions are welcome. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

You shoukd create a Date Table with continuous dates covering the range of dates in the model and dimension tables with unique values for Item and Region. Then join these tables in one-to many relationships with the corresponding fields in both fact tables and use the fields from the Date and Dimension tables in measures, slicers filters and visuals

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

View solution in original post

TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @Swapn22 ,

when ever we are talking about a data model in Power BI we are thinking about a data modeling concept that often is called dimensional modelling or star schema where different table types, dimension and fact tables, are forming this data model.

A dimensional model can contain multiple fact tables (sales and costs) and multiple dimension tables: Date, Item, and  Region. One dimension filters both fact tables.

My recommendation is, create the dimension tables and use these dimension tables to create the relationships. Use columns from the dimension tables for the slicers, axis, and column and row headers..

Here you will find an introduction to data modeling: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/paths/model-power-bi/

Hopefully, this provides ideas on how to tackle your challenge.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @Swapn22 ,

when ever we are talking about a data model in Power BI we are thinking about a data modeling concept that often is called dimensional modelling or star schema where different table types, dimension and fact tables, are forming this data model.

A dimensional model can contain multiple fact tables (sales and costs) and multiple dimension tables: Date, Item, and  Region. One dimension filters both fact tables.

My recommendation is, create the dimension tables and use these dimension tables to create the relationships. Use columns from the dimension tables for the slicers, axis, and column and row headers..

Here you will find an introduction to data modeling: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/paths/model-power-bi/

Hopefully, this provides ideas on how to tackle your challenge.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Hi Tom,

Thank You so much for the in-depth logic and it really helps !!

Thank you

PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

You shoukd create a Date Table with continuous dates covering the range of dates in the model and dimension tables with unique values for Item and Region. Then join these tables in one-to many relationships with the corresponding fields in both fact tables and use the fields from the Date and Dimension tables in measures, slicers filters and visuals

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Paul on Linkedin.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.