Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Question on Conditional Column as Parameter

I am working on a skillset survey, and the rating is know of, beginner, intermediate, advanced and expert, and I have used a conditional column to assign values 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. I would like to keep my text in my visual presentation of the data, so I would like to avoid using replace value.

It is quite an extensive survey, so I would like my definition set in my conditional column to include all coloumns, but I am stuck on this. Do I need to set up a parametre instead? If so, I would be very grateful for any help 🙂

Thank you so much!

9 REPLIES 9
mussaenda
Super User
Super User

hi @Anonymous 

I didn't get what you really need.

Do you want to show 1 as beginner, 2 as intermediate and so on?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Mussaenda,

Yes 🙂 I've added some screenshots to my previous reply. I hope it might explain better.

@Anonymous,

Thanks for the screenshots. Now I understand you better.

But please provide a sample data that can be copied. Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's a link to download an example:

LINK  

@Anonymous,

I have attached the pbix link from what I understood from your explanation.

Hope this helps.

https://gofile.io/?c=4Eaksj

BTW, I have changed your sample data just to see differences.

NameDepartmentProject IPMA - AProject IPMA - BProject IPMA - CProject IPMA - DProject PMP Project ITSMProject ScrumProject Prince 2 - PrincessProject Prince 2 - Change Management
MichaelDevelopment  Know of  Advanced Beginner  
KevinConsultancyAdvancedIntermediateBeginnerKnow of   Know of  
Michael 2Development  Know of  Advanced Intermediate  
Kevin 2ConsultancyKnow ofBeginnerIntermediateAdvanced  Advanced  
Michael 3Development  Expert Intermediate Beginner  
Kevin 3ConsultancyIntermediateBeginnerAdvancedAdvanced  Expert  

Anonymous
Not applicable

That is exactly what I was hoping to do 😄

Can I perhaps trouble you to explain me how to set up the query for future use?

Thank you very much!

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("ndBNDsIgEAXgqzSsu9IT+LcwjSdouiDlqSR0aCqi3l7SoDKkbFywmIR578u0rTjp/iphRC328DB2HEAuTFV8DdlHZc+fcaO8pB4qjltcNBGm70JXt6KB1xSmnaXb3bjw/8U3j+QwDVBaOvCQrC0BsIaIrlZ/sjNARp9jOf6HSLBZStaxUMvx6yL+8BwxubK1fPU5lNPLx050C3aGCBXdGw==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Name = _t, Department = _t, #"Project IPMA - A" = _t, #"Project IPMA - B" = _t, #"Project IPMA - C" = _t, #"Project IPMA - D" = _t, #"Project PMP " = _t, #"Project ITSM" = _t, #"Project Scrum" = _t, #"Project Prince 2 - Princess" = _t, #"Project Prince 2 - Change Management" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Name", type text}, {"Department", type text}, {"Project IPMA - A", type text}, {"Project IPMA - B", type text}, {"Project IPMA - C", type text}, {"Project IPMA - D", type text}, {"Project PMP ", type text}, {"Project ITSM", type any}, {"Project Scrum", type text}, {"Project Prince 2 - Princess", type any}, {"Project Prince 2 - Change Management", type any}}),
    #"Unpivoted Only Selected Columns" = Table.Unpivot(#"Changed Type", {"Project IPMA - A", "Project IPMA - B", "Project IPMA - C", "Project IPMA - D", "Project PMP ", "Project ITSM", "Project Scrum", "Project Prince 2 - Princess", "Project Prince 2 - Change Management"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Unpivoted Only Selected Columns",{{"Attribute", "Project"}}),
    #"Uppercased Text" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Renamed Columns",{{"Value", Text.Upper, type text}}),
    #"Added Conditional Column" = Table.AddColumn(#"Uppercased Text", "Rank", each if Text.Contains([Value], "KNOW OF") then 1 else if Text.Contains([Value], "BEGINNER") then 2 else if Text.Contains([Value], "INTERMEDIATE") then 3 else if Text.Contains([Value], "ADVANCED") then 4 else if Text.Contains([Value], "EXPERT") then 5 else null),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Conditional Column",{{"Rank", Int64.Type}})
in
    #"Changed Type1"

@Anonymous,

Copy this query and paste to the advanced editor in Power Query so you can see the step by step queries

And just drag again the fields according to your needs.

Enjoy your Power BI journey!

v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

so I would like my definition set in my conditional column to include all coloumns,

I don't particularly understand your needs, could you show me a sample data model and describe your needs in detail.

Best Regards,
Lionel Chen

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your replies 🙂

This is my data as I have been sorting it in Excel. I am working on creating graph example and it is important that rating is not changed to a numerical value. So I have created a conditional column to assign numerical value to the text, but my question whether I would need to create a conditional column for each column in my spreadsheet, or is there someway smarter to do it?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.