Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GuidoMS
Helper II
Helper II

Question in regards of Refreshing DATA from Desktop

Hi!

I have a Quick Question about refreshing data in PowerBi. We have a DATASET in the online PBI service and are using PRO accounts. 

We used to refresh data using ODBC connection.

The thing is that i understand that when i download the dataset to use it locally in desktop, i should be able to refresh my report with the data in the main dataset. There are 2 "refreshes" grom what i get:

- Refreshing DATASET which we configured to be automatic. Everything from WEB
- Refreshing local report (connected to main dataset)

Is it like this? I googled this and the main focus in every article is about refreshing the DATASET, and not the local file. Maybe we are working the wrong way by downloading the dataset and it should be set from the file.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
StefanoGrimaldi
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

hey, part right part wrong, the refresh on the power bi service works as you configured , the difference would be on refresing on local report, if you using a pbix file of the dataset (not connected live to the dataset but the actual pbix of it), when you refresh you are refreshing directly from the data sources, no interaction with the power bi service dataset unles you republish that pbix back to the service, but desktop file and service arent connect per se. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! / Did it help? Give some Kudos!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
StefanoGrimaldi
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

no, like you say, if you making modification to the dataset itself you will need to work those on your pbix file anda them update it to the service, (best practice: have a main dataset managing the data model and them create live connectes report refering to thi main or sub mains datasets) if you have a scheduled refresh on power bi service this wont be affected by the changes you make on the pbix file, just when the changes and new measures etc are tested and ready, update the pbix file and sustitute the dataset pbix for the new one, this wont alter the report connect to them, unless you delete or modify something those reports use or depend on. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! / Did it help? Give some Kudos!

StefanoGrimaldi
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

hey, part right part wrong, the refresh on the power bi service works as you configured , the difference would be on refresing on local report, if you using a pbix file of the dataset (not connected live to the dataset but the actual pbix of it), when you refresh you are refreshing directly from the data sources, no interaction with the power bi service dataset unles you republish that pbix back to the service, but desktop file and service arent connect per se. 

Oh! Ok. I get it. 

The thing is that when i'm working on a report i need to create new meassures so i need to download the file. If i just select the (WEB) dataset when creating a new file, im limited in this aspect. What i do is create everything i need and publish to web so that the dataset updates with every modification made. At least that is how it's working for us.

Is there a way to refresh locally, getting data from the service and not for the source itself?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.