Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

elz
Advocate II
Advocate II

Question about the Import Power BI Desktop Template option

Hi All,

The option is on the File tab.

When I read the description, it said that an existing template can be imported into the current file.

When I tested this, the files in the template were imported into a new report file, not the one that I had open.

I don't know what went wrong.

Is this what should happen or is the description is wrong?
If this is what should happen, I don't see the benefit of the feature because you could just use "save as" on a report file and accomplish the same thing.

I'm hoping someone can clear this up for me.

Thank you
Tracy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@elz i agree with you, description is probably bit misleading. i think use of template is to create and distribute report templates that can be seen sent out to other teams and people.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@elz i agree with you, description is probably bit misleading. i think use of template is to create and distribute report templates that can be seen sent out to other teams and people.

Revisiting this question as I ran into it myself today:

Is it possible to import a saved template into an existing report as opposed to opening a new file?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.