Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sanimesa
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Question about interation/cross-filtering between line chart and matrix visuals

I have a report page with a matrix containing header information about some devices and a line chart containing the time series temp/pressure data of the same devices. I notice that when a device row in the matrix is clicked, it correctly filters the line chart to the approprate device. However, when I click anywhere on the line chart, it resets the matrix.

Is this documented behavior?

In the images below. (1) is the default. (2) is when I select any device on the matrix. However, in this situation, when I click on the line chart, everything resets back to (1).

sample iot - nothing selected.pngsample iot - device selected in matrix.pngImages attached and also a link to a sample PBIX file. Please let me know if you need any more information.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjCzYamgkGsqqAP1Bi0yzi2wChjX?e=azmbqV 

3 REPLIES 3
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

@sanimesa 

When you click on a line you are filtering for the device, if you click in the chart you are filtering on an eventtime.  When you click in the line graph your table will actually change.  I added a visual to show what eventtime is filtering the table (where did I click in the chart?)

No eventtime selectedNo eventtime selected

Single event time clicked in the chartSingle event time clicked in the chart

If you want to use both as a filter you can click on a row in the table then hold CTRL and click on a spot in the chart.  That will select both the device id and eventtime.

@jdbuchanan71I also used the edit interaction to eliminate the matrix from the line chart's interaction, but that did not help. Is this also intented behavior?

I am tempted to try the below for now, as for some reason the behavior irks the user quite a bit:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Make-a-Table-ReadOnly/td-p/765716

yes, this is a default behaviour, when you click on a chart element to cross filter other charts, the filter is applied.  As soon as you click on the same chart or any other chart, this click clears selection and removes the filter.  In order to make the filter sticky, you should create a slicer.  that will keep the filter on when selected regardless of what the users is clicking on the screen

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.