Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

alvayag

Question about filtering

Hi guys, new user here.

I'm still new in Power BI, and learning the ropes, but I have this visualization problem that just don't find how to get the way I want.

The thing is this: I have in my canvas a table that show multiple columns and calculations. The columns are a list with the Clients who where sold, and  differente measures that show calculated data of what was sold to them. Everything works great and shows the right values.

As my data is organized by dates and by vendors, I use the Visual Levels Filters to show only the data relevant to one vendor and one month of the year. The problem is that my column tha shows the list of the clients, whe I apply the filter of month/vendor, only shows the clients who bought something that particular month, and not the complete list of clients that vendor has associated. 

I want to show the full list, becasue the calculations has Conditional Formatting for painting red blank rows, and I want the sales manager to be able to see all the clients that didn't buy anything that month.

Any ways of achieving this?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@alvayag

to show blank data i usually create an if isblank on my measure

for example

sales =
IF ( ISBLANK ( SUM ( table[values] ) )0SUM ( table[values] ) )

this usually forces a 0 value when empty and will bring back the data for everything, but i m not sure if thats the best way to do.

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

Well, I feel like an idiot now.

Thinking about relations, the problem was the way my data was organized.

What I did was make another Excel file with a table containing a column with the names of the clients (no duplicates), then I made a relationship in Power BI and use this clients table as my filter.

Now it shows the data the way I want.

Thank you for all the trouble, vanessafvg!

Vvelarde
Community Champion
Community Champion

@alvayag

You can also create The Clients Table in DAX:

in Modeling-New Table

Clients=Distinct(TableName[ClientColumn])

and related.

Lima - Peru

6 REPLIES 6
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

@alvayag can you put some screen shots of the issue and also post a picture of your relationship view

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Sure thing.

In the report view, that table show must have 28 clients (the clients associated with that vendor), but shows only the clients that actually bought something that month.

I want the full list.

I tried with the option "Show Items with no data" in the Values, but with no luck...

Powerbi1.JPGPowerbi2.JPG

@alvayag

to show blank data i usually create an if isblank on my measure

for example

sales =
IF ( ISBLANK ( SUM ( table[values] ) )0SUM ( table[values] ) )

this usually forces a 0 value when empty and will bring back the data for everything, but i m not sure if thats the best way to do.

Well, I feel like an idiot now.

Thinking about relations, the problem was the way my data was organized.

What I did was make another Excel file with a table containing a column with the names of the clients (no duplicates), then I made a relationship in Power BI and use this clients table as my filter.

Now it shows the data the way I want.

Thank you for all the trouble, vanessafvg!

Vvelarde
Community Champion
Community Champion

@alvayag

You can also create The Clients Table in DAX:

in Modeling-New Table

Clients=Distinct(TableName[ClientColumn])

and related.

Lima - Peru

Thanks for the tip!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.