Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

akj2784
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

Question Related to Data Refresh

Hi All,

I have created a data model in Power BI using Dev Database which is in Oracle. When I publish it to the Service, I want the tables to be refreshed daily.

I created a new Data Gateway from Manage Gateway.

Added a new datasource for Dev database. Connection was successful.

Question:

When I select Private from the Advanced Setting, does that mean only I can see the tables and data in the service. I don't want this data to be public. And can my team member see the data ?

When I select Public, does that mean everyone outside my org can see the tables and data.

Do you see any risk in terms of data security if I create and save the datasource connection ?

Once the datasource is created, I went to Schedule Refresh corresponding to the Dataset I created. But I see the below error.

"You don't have any gateway installed or configured for the data sources in this dataset. Please install a new personal gateway or configure the data source for an existing data gateway."

I have installed gateway also. And connection shows Online. 

I dont have the database on cloud. I am using the database present in my company's server. 

Do I need some extra setting to connect ?

Also, is it safe from data security point of view ?

Regards,

Akash

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@akj2784,

Does your dataset only contain Oracle data source? If so, please make sure that the connection string(server name, authentication) you use to connect to Oracle database under gateway is same as that you use in Power BI Desktop.

However, if your dataset contains multiple data sources, you would need to add all the data sources under gateway, otherwise, you would get the above error message.

In addition, you can select Private privacy level for your data source, this way, the data source is restricted to authorized users. For more details about privacy level, please review this article.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@akj2784,

Does your dataset only contain Oracle data source? If so, please make sure that the connection string(server name, authentication) you use to connect to Oracle database under gateway is same as that you use in Power BI Desktop.

However, if your dataset contains multiple data sources, you would need to add all the data sources under gateway, otherwise, you would get the above error message.

In addition, you can select Private privacy level for your data source, this way, the data source is restricted to authorized users. For more details about privacy level, please review this article.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.