Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

xpanther206

Question Regarding Importing Data from Power BI to Excel

Hello everybody, I've been a longtime Excel user and have a file that imports 250 tables from the internet, but after exploring Power BI, I would like to use Power BIas my means of importing them, not Excel.  That being said, I have an awful lot going on in that Excel file that depends on the data I'm trying to import, so what I'm looking to do is import data from Power BI into Excel.  I have seen much written on the internet about the other way around (exporting data from Excel into Power BI), but I haven't seen anything written on importing data from Power BI into Excel.

Is this even possible, and if so, how do I do it?  Ideally, it would import into Excel exactly like it is shown in Power BI, as a messy CSV file would necessitate a ton of adjustments to the Excel file I have already built.

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@xpanther206

To export data from Power BI Desktop to Excel, you have many options:

• Export Data from visual
  • Copy Table in Query Editor/Data View and paste into Excel.
  • Export data from Power BI Desktop into a CSV/TXT file using DAX.
  • Connect Power BI Desktop in Excel and import data directly.

For more details, please refer to blogs below:

EXPORTING DATA FROM POWER BI DESKTOP TO EXCEL AND CSV – PART 1: COPY & PASTE AND DAX STUDIO METHODS

EXPORTING DATA FROM POWER BI DESKTOP TO EXCEL AND CSV – PART 2: IMPORTING POWER BI DATA TO EXCEL DIR...

Regards,

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@xpanther206

To export data from Power BI Desktop to Excel, you have many options:

• Export Data from visual
  • Copy Table in Query Editor/Data View and paste into Excel.
  • Export data from Power BI Desktop into a CSV/TXT file using DAX.
  • Connect Power BI Desktop in Excel and import data directly.

For more details, please refer to blogs below:

EXPORTING DATA FROM POWER BI DESKTOP TO EXCEL AND CSV – PART 1: COPY & PASTE AND DAX STUDIO METHODS

EXPORTING DATA FROM POWER BI DESKTOP TO EXCEL AND CSV – PART 2: IMPORTING POWER BI DATA TO EXCEL DIR...

Regards,

xpanther206

Hello everybody, I've been a longtime Excel user and have a file that imports 250 tables from the internet, but after exploring Power BI, I would like to use Power BIas my means of importing them, not Excel.  That being said, I have an awful lot going on in that Excel file that depends on the data I'm trying to import, so what I'm looking to do is import data from Power BI into Excel.  I have seen much written on the internet about the other way around (exporting data from Excel into Power BI), but I haven't seen anything written on importing data from Power BI into Excel.

Is this even possible, and if so, how do I do it?  Ideally, it would import into Excel exactly like it is shown in Power BI, as a messy CSV file would necessitate a ton of adjustments to the Excel file I have already built.

Thank you in advance.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Most likely the answer is going to be "no", but its all going to depend on what you are trying to achieve.

You can export data from Power BI, but not in an automated fashion.  If you have automations getting the data for you in excel, you are better off going Data -> Excel -> Power BI if you still need the data in excel in that way.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.