Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Gringoh

Query to Scrap URLs with a pause every xx URLs

Hi,

I am using a query to scrap a list of data from various URLs of the same website.

I am using the web.content code to get those data e.g: (Json.Document(Web.Contents("https:// ….).

I think that my query is now overloading the website with too many queries too fast.

I tried to use the Function.InvokeAfter but then the query is really too slow to load.

I am wondering if it is possible to code a wait (pause or sleep) function once xx rows were loaded.

Let’s say my query has to scrap 1000 URLs would, it be possible to have a pause of x minutes every 100 URLs ?

I have already read a lot of useful tips, but nothing which could solde this issue.

Many thanks for any help.

Regards,

G

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi,

Many thanks for your help Angelia.

It took me some time to manage to do what I want, but finally I did it thanks to the link shared by Angelia and a few things from here and there.

I am going to summarize the various steps in case it can help some of you 😉

01 – First query: getting data list to scrap, and setting wait parameters:

===============================================================

I have a first query using an api which collect a list of data used to scrap an URL of the same website.

==> So this query collect a list of data

==> then I add an index column to get the row count from 1 to xxx

==> then I use a modulo formula to set a pause in the query every xx rows.

Here the sample of this first query:

let
    Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("https://api.xxxxxxx")),
…….
    #"Index ajouté" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Column1 développé", "Index", 1, 1),

Row_Mod_Multiple = 3,

#"Personnalisée ajoutée" = Table.AddColumn(#"Index ajouté", "Wait", each if Number.Mod([Index], Row_Mod_Multiple) = 0 then "yes" else "no")
in
    #"Personnalisée ajoutée"

Thanks to the modulo formula with a row multiple of 3, every 3 rows the query will wait xxx seconds (or minutes) before to proceed with the next row.

Q1.png

02 – Second query: wait formula:

This second query is the wait function (this query is used to add a wait time of xxx seconds), make sure to name it “Wait_Seconds”:

let
    Wait = (seconds as number, action as function) =>
            if (List.Count(List.Generate(() => DateTimeZone.LocalNow() + #duration(0,0,0,seconds), (x) => DateTimeZone.LocalNow() < x, (x) => x)) = 0)
            then null else action()
in
    Wait

This wait function will be used in the third query.

03 – Third query: scrap urls and wait every xxx rows:

let
    Source = #"Query1",

#"Personnalisée ajoutée" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "id", each if [Wait] = "yes" then Wait_Seconds(5, () => fnGetdata([URL values]) ) else fnGetdata ([URL values]) ),
……

This last query will scrap the list of URLs and will wait 5 seconds every 3 rows.

As some website are blocking IP address which are making too many requests per minutes, this approach can help to avoid the issues.

Hope it can help 😉

Best,

G

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Gringoh,

Please reference to the link: https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2014/11/17/timing-power-query-queries/. And you'd better post Power Query question to corresponding forum: Power Query Forum.

Thanks,
Angelia

Hi,

Many thanks for your help Angelia.

It took me some time to manage to do what I want, but finally I did it thanks to the link shared by Angelia and a few things from here and there.

I am going to summarize the various steps in case it can help some of you 😉

01 – First query: getting data list to scrap, and setting wait parameters:

I have a first query using an api which collect a list of data used to scrap an URL of the same website.

==> So this query collect a list of data

==> then I add an index column to get the row count from 1 to xxx

==> then I use a modulo formula to set a pause in the query every xx rows.

Here the sample of this first query:

let
    Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("https://api.xxxxxxx")),
…….
    #"Index ajouté" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Column1 développé", "Index", 1, 1),

Row_Mod_Multiple = 3,

#"Personnalisée ajoutée" = Table.AddColumn(#"Index ajouté", "Wait", each if Number.Mod([Index], Row_Mod_Multiple) = 0 then "yes" else "no")
in
    #"Personnalisée ajoutée"

Thanks to the modulo formula with a row multiple of 3, every 3 rows the query will wait xxx seconds (or minutes) before to proceed with the next row.

Q1.png

02 – Second query: wait formula:

This second query is the wait function (this query is used to add a wait time of xxx seconds), make sure to name it “Wait_Seconds”:

let
    Wait = (seconds as number, action as function) =>
            if (List.Count(List.Generate(() => DateTimeZone.LocalNow() + #duration(0,0,0,seconds), (x) => DateTimeZone.LocalNow() < x, (x) => x)) = 0)
            then null else action()
in
    Wait

This wait function will be used in the third query.

03 – Third query: scrap urls and wait every xxx rows:

let
    Source = #"Query1",

#"Personnalisée ajoutée" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "id", each if [Wait] = "yes" then Wait_Seconds(5, () => fnGetdata([URL values]) ) else fnGetdata ([URL values]) ),
……

This last query will scrap the list of URLs and will wait 5 seconds every 3 rows.

As some website are blocking IP address which are making too many requests per minutes, this approach can help to avoid the issues.

Hope it can help 😉

Best,

G

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.