Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SushainKoul
Helper III
Helper III

Query regarding merging

FirstName

LastNameCountryCol4
RajeshTejwaniIndianull
SKSharmaBritain
MKGandhiNewYork
KrishnaKumarIndianull

This is the table that was given to me in a client interview. I was asked to get both SK and MK together as first name and Sharma and Gandhi as last name. Can anyone tell me how to do this and get the below mentioned output?

FirstName

LastNameCountryCol4
RajeshTejwaniIndianull
SKSharmaBritainnull
MKGandhiNew Yorknull
KrishnaKumarIndianull
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-angzheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @SushainKoul 

I assume that  it will change when the name length is less than 2.

Create a copy table, add a condition column to get the first name.

v-angzheng-msft_0-1620720374851.jpeg

v-angzheng-msft_1-1620720374853.jpeg

Now transform table with M code:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WCkrMSi3OUNJRCknNKk/MywSyPPNSMhOBdF5pTo5SrE60UjCQ4w3EwRmJRbkgGaeizJLEzDywpC9U0j0xLyUDpN0vtTwyvygbLOldlFmckQfS4l2am1iEYXgsAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [FirstName = _t, LastName = _t, Country = _t, Col4 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"FirstName", type text}, {"LastName", type text}, {"Country", type text}, {"Col4", type text}}),
    Custom1 = Table.ToRecords(#"Changed Type"),
    Custom2 = List.Transform(Custom1, each Record.ToList (_)),
    Custom3 = List.Transform(Custom2, each if Text.Length(_{1})<2 then List.Range(_,1,99) else _
),
    Custom4 = List.Zip(Custom3
),
    Custom5 = Table.FromColumns(Custom4
),
    #"Removed Columns1" = Table.RemoveColumns(Custom5,{"Column4"}),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Removed Columns1", "Index", 0, 1, Int64.Type),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Added Index", {"Index"}, _GetFirstName, {"Index"}, "Table (2)", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded Table (2)" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "Table (2)", {"FirstName"}, {"FirstName"}),
    #"Reordered Columns" = Table.ReorderColumns(#"Expanded Table (2)",{"Column1", "FirstName", "Column2", "Column3", "Index"}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Reordered Columns",{"Column1"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

Result:

v-angzheng-msft_2-1620720374856.jpeg

v-angzheng-msft_3-1620720374857.jpeg

Finally, merge the two tables according to the Index column to get the first name

v-angzheng-msft_4-1620720374858.png

Please refer to the attachment below for details

Is this the result you want? Hope this is useful to you

Please feel free to let me know If you have further questions

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Zeon Zheng
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-angzheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @SushainKoul 

I assume that  it will change when the name length is less than 2.

Create a copy table, add a condition column to get the first name.

v-angzheng-msft_0-1620720374851.jpeg

v-angzheng-msft_1-1620720374853.jpeg

Now transform table with M code:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WCkrMSi3OUNJRCknNKk/MywSyPPNSMhOBdF5pTo5SrE60UjCQ4w3EwRmJRbkgGaeizJLEzDywpC9U0j0xLyUDpN0vtTwyvygbLOldlFmckQfS4l2am1iEYXgsAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [FirstName = _t, LastName = _t, Country = _t, Col4 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"FirstName", type text}, {"LastName", type text}, {"Country", type text}, {"Col4", type text}}),
    Custom1 = Table.ToRecords(#"Changed Type"),
    Custom2 = List.Transform(Custom1, each Record.ToList (_)),
    Custom3 = List.Transform(Custom2, each if Text.Length(_{1})<2 then List.Range(_,1,99) else _
),
    Custom4 = List.Zip(Custom3
),
    Custom5 = Table.FromColumns(Custom4
),
    #"Removed Columns1" = Table.RemoveColumns(Custom5,{"Column4"}),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Removed Columns1", "Index", 0, 1, Int64.Type),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Added Index", {"Index"}, _GetFirstName, {"Index"}, "Table (2)", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded Table (2)" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "Table (2)", {"FirstName"}, {"FirstName"}),
    #"Reordered Columns" = Table.ReorderColumns(#"Expanded Table (2)",{"Column1", "FirstName", "Column2", "Column3", "Index"}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Reordered Columns",{"Column1"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

Result:

v-angzheng-msft_2-1620720374856.jpeg

v-angzheng-msft_3-1620720374857.jpeg

Finally, merge the two tables according to the Index column to get the first name

v-angzheng-msft_4-1620720374858.png

Please refer to the attachment below for details

Is this the result you want? Hope this is useful to you

Please feel free to let me know If you have further questions

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Zeon Zheng
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Jihwan_Kim
Super User
Super User

Hi, @SushainKoul 

I am not sure if I understood your question correctly, but I suggest doing this in Power Query Editor.

All steps are in the sample pbix file.

Picture8.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/khhshlmjcd30pty/sushain.pbix?dl=0 

Hi, My name is Jihwan Kim.

If this post helps, then please consider accept it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Linkedin: linkedin.com/in/jihwankim1975/

Twitter: twitter.com/Jihwan_JHKIM

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

@Jihwan_Kim Thank u for your help. Yes I know it has to be done in Query Editor but I failed to answer this how to do it in Power Query Editor in the client interview.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.