Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DHawes
Frequent Visitor

Query refresh with field changes

My data model is currently loading an xml file each day.   It is a complete reload, not incremental.

The xml is output from a postgres database and I do not want to link directly yet.

I have one field/attribute in the xml file that is included on some days, but not others.

I have included in my data model, but when it does not exist in the xml input, the dataset refresh fails.

Is there someway to bypass this error?

Thanks

Dwight

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I am interpreting what you are saying as your query breaks when a field that you reference in your query is not present.  That means that somewhere in your query editing steps you reference that column (either directly or indirectly) and thus it cannot find the field that is missing and it throws an error. 

Again, I'm not sure if this is the situation but try looking at the steps in your query and see if it breaks at the source or somewhere in the applied steps.  If it is a step, then you can do some error handling to work around this.  Take a look at this example:

https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2015/02/26/handling-added-or-missing-columns-in-power-query/

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

I am interpreting what you are saying as your query breaks when a field that you reference in your query is not present.  That means that somewhere in your query editing steps you reference that column (either directly or indirectly) and thus it cannot find the field that is missing and it throws an error. 

Again, I'm not sure if this is the situation but try looking at the steps in your query and see if it breaks at the source or somewhere in the applied steps.  If it is a step, then you can do some error handling to work around this.  Take a look at this example:

https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2015/02/26/handling-added-or-missing-columns-in-power-query/

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.