Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gooranga1
Power Participant
Power Participant

Query references other queries or steps, so it may not directly access a data source

I have seen a few posts about this error but I am seeing it when refreshing a pbix file in desktop but when I go to power query there are no errors. To get my pbix to refresh I have to go to power query editor and Refresh the preview of the table causing issues.

TabularRefresh.png

This has started to occur as I am swapping over our reports from querying an OLAP cube to Tabular. We have some tables that merge the SSAS data with SQL data. This has alsways worked fine using OLAP. All I am doing is appending SQL and SSAS derived tables and there are no parameter references from one to the other.

The SSAS Tabular is 2019 and I am on the latest version of Desktop. If I publish the pbix to the web the refreshes work fine, it's only desktop with this issue. Anyone else seen this?

8 REPLIES 8
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Any solution to this problem?

sdrljaca
Frequent Visitor

I have exectly the same problem. Any solution?

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @gooranga1 

Please check the article below:

https://www.poweredsolutions.co/2019/03/12/data-privacy-and-the-formula-firewall/

Best Regards

Maggie

Thanks @v-juanli-msft  however that article doesn't help me with my error.

I only get the error in Desktop not in Power Query. If I go to power query and Refresh Preview everything works fine and then I can Refresh in Desktop.

I have checked all my data sources are set to Organizational. They are only accessing SSAS and SQL data and it is a very simple append going on. The issues started when I started using a new data source to a tabular model. The only way to get it to work each time I re-open the pbix file is to Refresh Preview in power query, which is slightly annoying.

Hi @gooranga1 

If the problem still occurs, you may need to open a support ticket.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

Best Regards

Maggie

Hi @v-juanli-msft 

It looks to be a transient issue as it no longer errors in this way. Possibly network issue according to helpdesk.

thanks

The same thing happens to me and I'm testing local files, so I don't think it's a network problem... I update the preview and it is corrected, but it is not the idea I think

Did you know how to fix the problem?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.