Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

laciodrom_80
Helper IV
Helper IV

Query parameters displayed value doesn't refresh in Power BI Service

Hi all,

I've defined a parameter which I use to create a dynamic query and I'd like to display its current value into my report for example using a card: I've enabled "parameter loading" option in Modify Query and all works fine in power bi desktop: once I've changed parameter value I refresh data and the new parameter value is correctly displayed in my card.

Unfortunatelly, after having uploaded my report into Power BI Service,changed my parameter value (Settings -> MyDataset -> Parameters -> Apply), refreshed the dataset, refreshed the report....displayed parameter value isn't updated!!! Smiley Mad

I'm on the horns of a dilemma, I seems to have forgotten nothing...any clue?

Thanks a lot in advance

Luca
29 REPLIES 29

Hi @v-lili6-msft,

thanks for your suggestion but, if I've not misunderstood, in your report you are displaying the result of the query (initially 20 and then after refresh, 31), while I'm trying to display the parameters's value: so, in your case, you should try to display in your report the value 4 and then, after having refreshed the dataset and the report, you should be able to see value 6.

I've made exactly what you do "you need to refresh the dataset first, then refresh the report again" but I don't see the new parameter value displayed but always the old one Smiley Sad

Best Regards

Luca

hi, @laciodrom_80

I will explain to you according to my report.

For example:

This is my basic data

1.JPG

and I create a parameter and use it to filter data that is less than or equal to this parameter.

2.JPG

And in my simple report.

I just create a measure and drag it into card visual.

Measure = CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Qty]))

Step1:

When i set parameter is 6, now the result is sum all ID is less than or equal to 6 

and It is 11+2+3+4+5+6=31.

Then I change the parameter  to 4 and refresh it, now the result is sum all ID is less than or equal to 4

and It is 11+2+3+4=20

It works well.

Step2:

Now I publish this report to service:

4.JPG3.JPG

In the dataset setting, the parameter is 4 and the result is 20 in the report.

Then I change the parameter to 6, Apply and refresh dataset first.

5.JPG6.JPG

and then refresh the report.

before refresh reportbefore refresh reportafter refresh reportafter refresh report

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-lili6-msft,

I've just created your report and tryed it: yes it works like you say, but if you try to add into the report the current parameter value, you'll bump into the issue I say

I start with param value 4 and Qty 20

Immagine.png

then I change parameter value:

Immagine3.png

I refresh the dataset, and the report and..... BAM!!!!  I don't see "6" while Qty is correctly updated  Smiley Frustrated

Immagine2.png

Try to display also the parameter value....note that on Power BI Desktop all works fine, the issue seems to be only on Power BI Service 

Luca

hi, @laciodrom_80

How do you add parameter value into visual, whether the parametor is What if parameter?

What if parameter is not updated by data refresh, could share your test pbix file with us to do a test?

Best Regards,
Lin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-lili6-msft,

In Edit Query I've enabled Loading option (right-click on parameter) so I can add it in my report. Of course I can share my pbix test file, where should I share it?

Luca

hi, @laciodrom_80

Thank you for your feedback, and I have reported it internally to Power BI Team: CRI 92912840.

If there is any update, I will post it here.

Best Regards,
Lin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Lynn, We are having issue with export to PDF - below is scenario:

On PBI desktop I changed location parameter from A to B - some of the report visualization reflects B but not all, and exported PDF has mixbag data from A and B. Is this related issue. I have created a saperate discussion for this as well (https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/PowerBi-Desktop-data-refresh-and-export-to-PDF/m-p/622677)

Hi @v-lili6-msf,

no news I image...If it could be helpfull I can share a simple pbix file...in case let me know

Regards

Luca

hi, @laciodrom_80

I have asked for the product team about this feedback, and this problem Hasn't been solved.

I'm sorry to have kept you waiting so much, and if there is any update, I will post here.

Best Regards,

Lin

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.