Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

BenDenham
Frequent Visitor

Query parameter not updating

I am currently using a parameter list in one of my reports. This parameter list is generated from a table I have in SQL Server.

The issue I am having is that when I refresh my report this parameter list doesn't update.

Interesting, if I go into the Query Editor and refresh the query using "Refresh preview", the parameter list is sucessfully updated. It seems strange how the parameter list is updated when I refresh in Query Editor but not when I refresh on the Report.

Has any one else has this issue? Are there any workarounds/settings I could try?

Many thanks,

Ben Denham

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

No update on this? I just tried this and was surprised that my Query to populate the parameter list was executed on launching the report template but the dropdown list was still the "old" one from the time the template was saved. What's the point of using a query in parameters when the contents of the parameter list don't get refreshed when you launch the report template?

Moreso, the paramater value is part of a second data source which is used to build a data source link dymanically when the template is launched based on user input. Since the parameter in question changes frequently, the dropdown list needs to change frequently as well and using a query to pull the values from where they are listed was a nice way to achieve this or would be if it would actually show the most up to date values in the dropdown. This very much looks like a bug.

mohanjr

I'm seeing the same issue.  After doing some testing, it appears that the Parameter's Query List is directly referencing the data available in the Query Editor's previewer, instead of refrencing the data on the front-end reporting side.  This picture below shows an example where I'm giving the user a list of dates to pick from, but the drop-down list they can see is dependent on the list options currently active in the Query Editor, instead of the list on the report.

I think what everyone is expecting is that doing a normal refresh of the data would also update parameter query options. It doesn't feel natural to need to also go to the back-end and refresh the Query Editor's preview to update to your parameter options.

I'm assuming this was a design decision by Power BI dev team since typically you wouldn't expose the query list on the front-end, but they'd still want the Parameter options to be available even if the data wasn't loaded into the report.  I'd advocate for the behavior of forcing the query list to be in the reporting layer since we still have the option to hide the data from the Report View.

PowerBI_Parameter_1.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have also found that you can refresh the parameter query from the Fields pane.  Which is still a pain.  Pun intented. 😊

JohnPanzeca_0-1604072567040.png

Has there been any movement on this issue? I'm having the exact same problem, and it seems to negate the advantage of having a query-driven parameter.  Any input from the Power BI Team?

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BenDenham,

Have you turn on the "include the report refresh" option? if you not, these data doesn't refresh when you use refresh button at report view.(they will refresh when you choose this query and use refresh preview button at query editor)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

I do have "include the report refresh" enabled. The list is successfully being updated when I press the refresh button, but the parameter that uses this list (I have set Suggested Values to Query) is not being updated.

Hi @BenDenham,

Perhaps you can try to turn on the below feature to enable the parallel loading, then modify the query sort index to let the parameter list update before the custom function:

5.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.