Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nhallmark
Frequent Visitor

Query not supported in DirectQuery mode - SQL with subquery

I am attempting to organize data from a SQL server by removing rows which contain duplicates in a certain column. When using the normal remove duplicates function after a simply database connection in Power Query I received the "not supported in DirectQuery" error. I thought that I could write a SQL statement and use the advanced connection to the database to get around this error:

Select * from database as db,
(select min(dateandtime) as dateandtime, num, seq, type from database
where seq = 1
and type = 'A'
group by seq, num, type) Min_Date
where db.dateandtime = min_date.dateandtime

But this also throws the not supported error. I know one solution is to change to an import connection rather than DirectQuery, but that path is highly undesirable. Any help you can give on a work around for this method removing duplicates would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@nhallmark,

Any M step after a custom SQL step will prevent query folding. Here's a way to do it in M (no custom SQL).

1. Connect to the table (DirectQuery). Query name: lab_stl_all

DataInsights_0-1663854490874.png

2. Create a Group By query based on lab_stl_all (by Reference). Query name: lab_stl_group_by

DataInsights_3-1663854709666.png

DataInsights_1-1663854586062.png

3. Create query lab_stl using "Merge Queries as New". This will be an inner join between lab_stl_all and lab_stl_group_by. Use Ctrl-click to select multiple join columns.

DataInsights_4-1663854855669.png

4. Result:

DataInsights_5-1663854931476.png

Note that the resulting table uses Import mode.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
DataInsights
Super User
Super User

@nhallmark,

I changed the SELECT clause in your custom SQL to "Select db.*" to avoid returning the columns twice, and it ran successfully. Would you confirm? If this doesn't work, please provide sample data and a screenshot of the error.

I made the change and the query ran but once I tried to do any basic change, such as sorting or filtering a column the error gets thrown again. Here is some sample data I am using:

nhallmark_0-1663846040098.png

This is the exact SQL I ran:

Select stl.dateandtime, stl.htnum, stl.seq, stl.atype, stl.ccode from lab_stl stl,
(select min(dateandtime) as dateandtime, htnum, seq, atype from lab_stl
where atype = 'L'
and seq = 2

and htnum < '100'
group by seq, htnum, atype) Min_Date
where stl.dateandtime = min_date.dateandtime;

nhallmark_2-1663846298262.png

The query ran fine, but when I sorted by the ccode column in descending order in (you can see the step taken on the far right) the error gets thrown (yellow bar above the data). I know that I can make adjustments like this in the SQL but I need to be able to make adjustments within Power BI because I wish to merge data from two different sources into a master table and I can't do that in SQL and use it in Power BI (I think).

Thank you for your help!

@nhallmark,

Any M step after a custom SQL step will prevent query folding. Here's a way to do it in M (no custom SQL).

1. Connect to the table (DirectQuery). Query name: lab_stl_all

DataInsights_0-1663854490874.png

2. Create a Group By query based on lab_stl_all (by Reference). Query name: lab_stl_group_by

DataInsights_3-1663854709666.png

DataInsights_1-1663854586062.png

3. Create query lab_stl using "Merge Queries as New". This will be an inner join between lab_stl_all and lab_stl_group_by. Use Ctrl-click to select multiple join columns.

DataInsights_4-1663854855669.png

4. Result:

DataInsights_5-1663854931476.png

Note that the resulting table uses Import mode.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.