Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Query merge in desktop returns value=binary error for my colleague while it doesn't for me

Hi all, 

Hoping I post this in the right place. 

A ~month ago I created a quite straightforward .pbix which pulls .xlsx files from sharepoint, of which some queries connect directly to an excel file, some queries combine multiple .xlsx files. In addition, .pbix consists of multiple merges.

This has worked perfectly fine for me and a colleague for some weeks, but since a short time my colleague is receiving the error 'cannot convert value Binary to Binary' on one of the merge steps (NOT on combining the .xlsx files as some earlier posts have mentioned) while the .pbix is still working fine for me. 

Does anybody know how it could be that one .pbix file can work for some, and return errors for others (especially after it has worked fine for both before)?

- We have already tried with no avail: updating to the most recent Desktop version, checking dataformats, privacy levels.

Note:

- Problem is on desktop, not on service.

- Error is shown when trying to merge two queries, not while combining .xlsx files.

- Error is only shown for one of the merges, while .pbix consist of multiple merges beteween sharepoint datasources. 

Thanks in advance for your help. Let me know if more information is needed. 

3 REPLIES 3
v-eachen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

I have never encountered this problem and other members almost encountered this problem on service.

You may refer to the reply of Ross73312 in this similar case:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/We-cannot-convert-the-value-quot-Binary-quot-to-type-Binary/m-p/313202

Community Support Team _ Eads
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

That is indeed an odd one! And extremely difficult to troubleshoot. I have not seen anything like that but perhaps someone else has. You could check the Issues forum here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

And if it is not there, then you could post it.

If you have Pro account you could try to open a support ticket. If you have a Pro account it is free. Go to https://support.powerbi.com. Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET".

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-eachen-msft @Greg_Deckler 

Thank you for your reply so far. 

Update which only increases the oddness further:

When my colleague publishes the report, refreshing dataset returns the same error as in Desktop. But when I myself publish the same report (i.e. same .pbix file) to the service it works fine to refresh it. Very strange. 

I have a pro account, so I will go and open a support ticket. 

Also, I did read something on breaking up the queries in smaller parts, so that the queries I merge are referencing other queries and not external datasources. However not sure if that would solve it as other merges (in this and other .pbix files) have never given this error before.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.