Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jomikk
Helper I
Helper I

Query editor replace values less than threshold

Hi, is it possible to replace values in a column that are less than e.g. 1 to null in Query editor?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi @jomikk,

If you want to add a new column, you could try to add a "Conditional Column". 

if [Column1] < 1 or [Column1] = null or Number.IsNaN([Column1]) 
then 9999 
else [Column1]

Query editor replace values less than threshold.jpg

I am still trying to find out a way to replace the value directly.

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Hi @jomikk,

If you don't have any "NaN" value, you can try this to replace the values directly. 

1. Right click "Column1", select "Replace Values";

2. Input any numbers, we only need this step to generate code for us;Query editor replace values less than threshold1.jpg

3. Open "Advanced Editor", replace the code in red square with the code below.

each [Column1],
each if [Column1] > -1 
and [Column1] < 1 
or [Column1] = null 
or Number.IsNaN([Column1]) 
then 9999 
else [Column1],

Query editor replace values less than threshold2.jpg

4. Done, no new column needed. 

I wonder if someone can help with the value "NaN".

Best Regards!

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sure, you can do this by adding a Conditional column. You can find it in the Add Column ribbon. 

Example:

conditionalColumn.JPG

What do I do if I have null and NaN values in the column?

Hi @jomikk,

If you want to add a new column, you could try to add a "Conditional Column". 

if [Column1] < 1 or [Column1] = null or Number.IsNaN([Column1]) 
then 9999 
else [Column1]

Query editor replace values less than threshold.jpg

I am still trying to find out a way to replace the value directly.

Best Regards!

Dale

The optimal solution would be to replace values directly, but this seems to be the best solution at the moment, thanks!

Edit: I was maybe too quick on the accept as solution button 🙂 What do I do if I have negative values? They are less than 1, but I want to keep them. I only want to edit numbers like 0.0000027 or -0.00028.

Is it sufficient to do something like

if [Column1] < 1 and [Column1] >-1 or [Column1] = null or Number.IsNaN([Column1]) 
then 9999 
else [Column1]

Hi @jomikk,

If you don't have any "NaN" value, you can try this to replace the values directly. 

1. Right click "Column1", select "Replace Values";

2. Input any numbers, we only need this step to generate code for us;Query editor replace values less than threshold1.jpg

3. Open "Advanced Editor", replace the code in red square with the code below.

each [Column1],
each if [Column1] > -1 
and [Column1] < 1 
or [Column1] = null 
or Number.IsNaN([Column1]) 
then 9999 
else [Column1],

Query editor replace values less than threshold2.jpg

4. Done, no new column needed. 

I wonder if someone can help with the value "NaN".

Best Regards!

Dale

Perfect!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a similar scenario whre I need to replace negative values in the column to "Blank". I followed your steps exactly, The code was syntactically correct but my data was not reflecting the change.It was still showing me the negative values:. The  code is below:

#"Replaced Value2" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Sorted Rows1",each {"Pumptime"},each if {"Pumptime"} < 0 then "" else {"Pumptime"},Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Pumptime"})

Hi @jomikk,

Yes, you are right! Don't change the order of the if statement.

One thing to correct to avoid misleadings to others: it's a "Custom Column", not a "Conditional Column". 

Best Regards!

Dale

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure if there is an interface for this, but you can use the advanced editor and add a try otherwise.

I added a null value and a text value that is converted to a number so results in an error

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSAeJYnWglIyDLCMwyBrLySnNywBwTICdRKTYWAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [ClientId = _t, Value = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"ClientId", Int64.Type}, {"Value", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Conditional Column" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "ValueNew", each try if [Value] <= 1 then null else [Value] otherwise null )
in
    #"Added Conditional Column"

conditionalColumn.JPG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.