Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

EVEAdmin
Helper V
Helper V

Query, columns and refresh

I am evaluating whether to import the full customers table from my MSSQL Server.
Once I import it, I can remove unwanted columns and exclude records before a certain date.
If, at a later stage, I wish to restore one of those columns I initially excluded, can I do it? How?

Also, when I refresh data in Power BI, will those rules still be applied?

Say for example, I filter records based on a value, then I refresh data. Will the new data be filtered in automatic?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

@EVEAdmin 

When you replublish you will have the option to replace the existing model. When I make query changes (yes, in the desktop), I generally replace instead of renaming and adding another model to maintain. Since this is the case, I always refresh my model (in desktop) prior to republishing so that the republish has the latest data.

Generally speaking, changes in the query and calculations are made in the desktop version and then pushed to the service for consumption. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

@EVEAdmin 

You can edit every step of your query. When you choose columns, you will see that step applied on the right side of the query. To add or remove additonal columns, click the gear icon beside that step to modify the choice.

As for the refresh, yes, it respects every step you apply ever time it refreshes.

Please note that if you publish to the service, you have to change the query in the editor and republish to add or remove columns or change the value you filter by.

@kcantor wrote:

Please note that if you publish to the service, you have to change the query in the editor and republish to add or remove columns or change the value you filter by.

@kcantor many thanks, appreciated.
Very good tip on republishing after the change. When you say "change the query in the editor", I guess you refer to the desktop version of Power BI, right?
In this case, will the existing dataset in the online service be just updated or will a new one be added?

kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

@EVEAdmin 

When you replublish you will have the option to replace the existing model. When I make query changes (yes, in the desktop), I generally replace instead of renaming and adding another model to maintain. Since this is the case, I always refresh my model (in desktop) prior to republishing so that the republish has the latest data.

Generally speaking, changes in the query and calculations are made in the desktop version and then pushed to the service for consumption. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.