Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

conniedevina
Helper I
Helper I

Query Folding from Sharepoint Folder

Hi,

I'm trying to find out about query folding using Sharepoint folder as datasource. Because I read in the Microsoft document they said the query folding support Sharepoint List

Most data sources that have the concept of a query language support query folding. These data sources can include relational databases, OData feeds (including SharePoint lists), Exchange, and Active Directory. However, data sources like flat files, blobs, and web typically do not

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/power-query-folding

I tried to search in the forum regarding this sharepoint, I only got this thread and no answer

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Query-folding-in-Sharepoint-Lists/m-p/431921

Do anyone know that if query folding support Sharepoint List? which all my excel files I dump to the Sharepoint folder for this one.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You cannot conflate Sharepoint Folders and Sharepoint lists. They are very different things. Sharepoint folders are document libraries and can hold Excel files (for example). Sharepoint lists are like database tables with rows and columns.

As the article mentions Query folding requires some sort of query language with filtering capabilities.  ODATA gives you that option.

Please describe what you are trying to accomplish.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You cannot conflate Sharepoint Folders and Sharepoint lists. They are very different things. Sharepoint folders are document libraries and can hold Excel files (for example). Sharepoint lists are like database tables with rows and columns.

As the article mentions Query folding requires some sort of query language with filtering capabilities.  ODATA gives you that option.

Please describe what you are trying to accomplish.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.