cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schwinnen Member

Query Folding - disable?

Apparently, with the latest update, every time I enter a new query or even edit an existing query, Power BI automatically adds allow query folding = true.  I don't even know what query folding is, but I do know that I don't need it.  

Is it possible to just turn this off?  I don't see this anywhere in the settings, but it needs to be an option.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Query Folding - disable?

Hi @schwinnen ,

After researching and testing,I am afraid that you could not turn off query folding currently.
However, you could vote for this idea which is similar to yours. Maybe it will be a feature of Power BI in the future.

Community Support Team _ Eads
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @schwinnen ,

After researching and testing,I am afraid that you could not turn off query folding currently.
However, you could vote for this idea which is similar to yours. Maybe it will be a feature of Power BI in the future.

Community Support Team _ Eads
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

carpequarq Visitor
Visitor

Why am I getting this error in BI when I dont' get it through PowerQuery in Excel?

First I struggled with the whole Posgresql connector rigamarol, then this error:

Details: "We cannot fold on top of this native query. Please modify the native query or remove the 'EnableFolding' option."

I don't know what folding, nor do I really care, I just want this to work. 

ryan0585 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Seriously though, whatever update was made here has made Power BI useless for me for my PostgreSQL databases.  Why would a setting be enabled by default which could break queries?

The query folding option should not be added by default.

Makassi Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

It is possible to turn 'Folding' off!

Go to 'Edit Queries' and in 'APPLIED STEPS' click on 'Source'.

Then click in the command line (starts with 'Value.NativeQuery(' etc. and scroll to the end of the statement.

You'll see: '[EnableFolding=true]', change it to false.

That's it. Succes!

schwinnen Member

@Makassi - I have written custom queries and native query is not available for all of my tables.  I can remove the section on query folding using the advanced editor, but it reappears with every minor change I make to my query.  I can change it to false in the advanced editor, but this does not seem to apply to Power BI Service when I upload the workbook.

There are workarounds to this issue, but they are very annoying.

Helpful resources

Announcements
October 2019 Community Highlights

October 2019 Community Highlights

October was a busy month in the community. Read the recap article to learn about some of the events and content.

New Badges

Incoming: New and Improved Badges

Exciting news: We've given our badges an overhaul and added brand news ones.

Ask Amir Anything

Exclusive LIVE Community Event No. 2 – Ask Amir Anything

Next in our Triple A series: Ask Amir Netz questions about the latest updates, features and future.

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Experience a limitless analytics service built to ingest, prep, manage, and serve data for immediate use in Power BI.

Users Online
Currently online: 318 members 3,308 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: