Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jpilson32

Query Folding Breaks on Unpivot

Hello,

I'm having an issue with my data refresh. My data sources are both erroring out on the Unpivot step(Dataverse & On-prem SQL). I keep getting the error:

"Microsoft SQL: The type of column "COLUMNX" conflicts with the type of other columns specified in the UNPIVOT list."

I also noticed that the "View Native Query" option is greyed out on the "Unpivoted Other Columns" step within Power BI Desktop. I'm able to get everything to work perfectly fine within Desktop, but as soon as I try to refresh the data within the Power BI Service, the refresh fails with the above error.

Are there changes I can make within the "Advanced Editor" window that will allow the query folding to work as intended instead of breaking?

jpilson32_0-1665066631099.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @jpilson32 

Before the Unpivot Step, you might want to check/modify the type of the columns' Table.

aj1973_0-1665067413369.png

there is a conflict somewhere

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @jpilson32 

Before the Unpivot Step, you might want to check/modify the type of the columns' Table.

aj1973_0-1665067413369.png

there is a conflict somewhere

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

I tried that, I have everything set as text except for the date columns. It really doesn't like the "Unpivot" step because everything leading up to it has the native query functionality.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.